Takeaways from Saturday’s UNI Open

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt Sophomore Brady Jennings wrestles Nate Higgins durring the Iowa State vs SIU-Edwarsville match in Stephens Auditorium Nov. 11. The Cyclones won nine of the ten matches over the Cougars.

Zane Douglas

Iowa State traveled to Cedar Falls, Iowa, to compete in the UNI Open on Saturday.

Injuries hit hard

At 165 pounds, redshirt junior Brady Jennings has started for the Cyclones in place of redshirt senior Skyler St. John who has battled injury all season.

On Saturday, St. John made his return but had to be removed from the tournament due to an injury again.

To make matters worse for coach Kevin Dresser, Jennings also suffered an injury in the tournament, which is certainly less than ideal for this Cyclone team which has already had troubles at 165 pounds this year.

Carr impresses

Highly touted freshman David Carr continued to impress Saturday by taking first place in the 157-pound tournament.

Iowa State starter and redshirt junior Chase Straw placed fourth in that tournament. 

Carr will still redshirt this season as Straw will start the remainder of the matches at 157 pounds.

Coleman bounces back

Redshirt freshman Marcus Coleman was a big storyline to start the season. Coleman had an impressive redshirt campaign with the Cyclones.

Coleman compiled a 24-2 record while wrestling unattached last season, but this season he didn’t start quite as strong. At the Lindenwood Open, Coleman placed fifth in a tournament at 174 pounds.

Last Saturday against Iowa’s Myles Wilson, he won due to an injury from Wilson. In the UNI Open, Coleman had his first complete matches in a couple weeks, and he was able to take home first place in the 174-pound bracket.

Coleman has been on the brink of earning rankings by the major wrestling outlets but hasn’t quite gained the notoriety yet, outside of Trackwrestling (No. 22).

Iowa State will finish 2018 with a dual hosting Ohio University next Sunday.