Puerto Rican music and dancing brought together the Ames community Saturday night

Families pose with signs relating to Puerto Rican culture at Puerto Rico Culture night in the Memorial Union on Oct. 22.

Mike Brown

Iowa State’s Puerto Rican Student Association celebrated and shared dancing, food, culture and community with the Ames and Iowa State community Saturday night.

“It’s a taste of our culture and how vivid and happy we are, so it’s really good for other people to experience it as well,” said Ana Sofía Ramos, sophomore in architecture.

Attendees were provided different Puerto Rican dishes. Among the different dishes served were chuletas, a pork dish, and rice with beans.

Attendees rushed to the open dance floor as the live band, Alto Maiz, took the stage. Both students and members of the Ames community, young and old, packed the dance floor as they danced to traditional Puerto Rican music.

“Ever since the live band started, in the first minute, there were already four or five couples on the dance floor having a good time,” said Perla Murillo Camarena, sophomore in civil engineering.

Attendees danced for hours, socializing and enjoying the different songs performed, with Alto Maiz even performing an encore.

Aixa Megret, second-year graduate student in the College of Veterinary Medicine, greatly enjoyed the opportunity to dance salsa and said she found it therapeutic.

Gabriel Díaz Capote, junior in interior design, said his favorite part of the event was coming together and seeing their friends. Capote also said he was happy to see his friends outside of a school setting, dance and have fun.

Attendees were also able to dance to more contemporary music played later in the night by a DJ, after Alto Maiz finished performing.