Survivors unite at ‘anti-Kavanaugh rally’

Kennedy DeRaedt/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State University College Democrats hosted a Vigil for Survivors: Anti-Kavanaugh Rally on Oct. 4 at 7 p.m.

Jessica Kindschi

The College Democrats at Iowa State held an emotion filled “vigil for survivors; an Anti-Kavanaugh rally” Thursday night.

Students showed up on the windy, cold night by the Fountain of Four Seasons to share their stories regarding sexual assault or support those who are survivors.

Students and community members joined together to stand against Judge Brett Kavanaugh and those who support him. Signs were held that said “KavaNOPE” and presented a number to call the elected senators of Iowa.

Kavanaugh is currently under fire for a sexual assault allegation from more than 30 years ago, with more allegations rising to the surface since.

One committee member who voted to move Kavanaugh out of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Jeff Flake, completely supported Kavanaugh until being confronted by sexual assault survivors last week. After the confrontation he had a change of heart, pushing for an investigation of the allegations before the vote of Kananaugh onto the Supreme Court.

There is not yet a confirmed date for the final vote, but survivors across the nation, including at Iowa State, are gathering to show their feelings toward the case.

People of all genders, races, ethnicities and backgrounds were present at the rally to show their support for the #MeToo movement. The students gathered, some cried and some laughed, but they all remained as one.

State Rep. Beth Wessel-Kroeschell, D-Ames, spoke to the group and shared her story and message regarding the current situation.

“It’s been a rough week for all survivors,” Wessel-Kroeschell said.

Wessel-Kroeschell shared her opinions of the investigation, saying that it was not complete enough.

“We won’t let the wind blow out our fire,” Wessel-Kroeschell said.

Wessel-Kroeschell repeated “I believe you, I support you, and I hear you” several times throughout the evening as she referred to the survivors that stood before her, and those who were unable to be present.

“The fight starts by believing. If we do that, change will happen,” said Antonio Ball, a sophomore in sociology and women’s and gender studies.

Ball said he has connections to survivors of sexual assault and stressed the support he has for survivors.

“Keep fighting,” Ball said. “We have to be strong. We have to be the difference … we have to be the change.”

Trinity Bierl, open option freshman, said she came to “support everyone who has gone through [this] and let them know we support them.”

Protests similar are happening all over the nation at this time as well.

“I think it is important for government officials to know things like this are not okay and our voices are heard,” Bierl said.

The College Democrats at Iowa State were the organizers of the event.

“I wanted to get people together to support each other,” said Taylor Blair, president of the College Democrats at Iowa State,

As the president of the College Democrats, Blair urged everyone to get registered to vote for the Nov. 6 midterm election.

Wessel-Kroeschell agreed the importance of voting in the upcoming election.

“We all have a chance to make a change on November 6,” Wessel-Kroeschell said. “Elections have consequences.”