Collegiate Women in Business: Making professional connections inside and outside of Iowa State

Photo Courtesy of Brooklyn Treinen

Collegiate Women in Business members in San Francisco meeting with Dan Gottlieb on the WeWork rooftop. 

Kirstie Martin

Iowa State’s Collegiate Women in Business aims to help women in the business field connect with other women within their future profession and strengthen their professional skills.

The club consists of 90 women that are students of the Ivy College of Business or in agriculture business.

Their meetings include guest speakers that teach members resume, career fair, personal branding and other professional skills. The club meets from 5 to 6 p.m every Wednesday.

Brooklyn Treinen, president of Collegiate Women in Business, said she joined her freshman year originally to network with business professionals and meet other young women going into the field.

“At the time, I had no idea that Collegiate Women in Business would introduce me to lifelong best friends,” Treinen said. “I had the opportunity to grow as a young professional in ways I never thought were possible.”

Each semester, Collegiate Women in Business takes a corporate trip for members to meet business professionals.

Their latest trip was last week to Minneapolis where members spent the day touring Best Buy Headquarters, Target Headquarters and U.S. Bank Stadium.

Treinen said the goal of these corporate trips are to “observe the company’s work process and understand their problem-solving methods.”

“Each company has a different type of environment, providing new, innovative ways of thinking about goal-setting and performance measures,” Treinen said.

Kaylee Galles, a freshman member, said she learned a lot from the trip.

“Most corporations work as one big team,” Galles said. “Everyone has a specific job, but they all work together as one big family.”

Treinen said her favorite part of the trip was getting to know each member on a more personal level.

“Through traveling to another city and riding in a car together for six hours in one day, you start to learn quite a bit about one another,” Treinen said.

Additionally, Collegiate Women in Business hosts the Young Women in Business Conference every year at Iowa State. This conference brings high school girls onto campus to teach them more about business. This year’s event will be held Tuesday.

“I didn’t know as a freshman what the business field would be like, my professional network has grown so much,” said Kennedy Eitmann, conference chair.

Another program within Collegiate Women in Business is the professional mentorship program. Within the program, members are paired up with professionals within their future field to gain more knowledge on what jobs in that area include.

“After being in [Collegiate Women in Business] nobody is shy anymore when approaching companies at career fair. Everyone wants to talk to [Collegiate Women in Business] members, you feel like you own the place,” said Bailey Pease, Young Women in Business Conference volunteer coordinator.

A new addition to the club this year is small group mentorship. This is an opportunity for members to get to know other members and find a home within the Collegiate Women in Business, Treinen said.

Later in the month, the club will be making another corporate trip to Principal Financial Group.

Each year, the company invites women groups from Iowa State, University of Iowa and Northern Iowa for an inside look at their company and other opportunities.

Collegiate Women in Business will also be holding an “Invest in Your Network – Negotiations Workshop.” The workshop is to help “empower women to be confident when negotiating salaries and benefits in an interview,” Treinin said.

The event is held Nov. 1 in the Memorial Union and is open to all women at Iowa State. To register, email [email protected] before Tuesday, Oct. 16.