Cyclones looking to build upon top-five round in school history

Collin Maguire

Iowa State men’s golf head coach Andrew Tank watches the team practice at the Coldwater Golf Links on April 3.

Logan Shanks, Sports Reporter

After their best competition, the Iowa State men’s golf team will continue their season on the road at the Marquette Intercollegiate. 

The Cyclones are coming off their best outing this season, placing second overall with three golfers finishing in the top five. They look to continue that success in their last event before Big 12 Match Play in a few weeks. 

Junior Lukas Pany played a key factor in the Cyclone’s second-place finish at the Zach Johnson Invitational; he tied for fifth place overall. Pany rejoined the lineup after placing last among the Cyclones at the Fighting Irish Classic. 

“He showed that he learned a lot and was putting in work here and was practicing on the right things,” head coach Andrew Tank said.  “It was pretty straightforward to get him another opportunity, and I’m really happy that he’s starting to see some of the payoff for the work he’s done.” 

Pany’s performance last weekend was enough to keep him in the starting lineup. Coach Tank said the starting five will be the same as the previous event. 

“I’m trying not to think about the score, even if it’s good or bad. I’m just trying to think about how I behave on the course and how good I do my routine,” Pany said when asked about how that performance will help him for the rest of the season. “So that even if it’s a bad round, it’s okay.”

Sophomore Luke Gutschewski continues to be the Cyclones’ best performer after tying for second at the Zach Johnson Invitational with fellow Cyclone, freshman Paul Beauvy. Gutschewski shot his season-best 66 in both the first and third rounds. 

“It’s a team effort, my teammates push me in practice, and the coaches have put in a good plan for us this year,” Gutschewski said. “A lot of it is self-belief stuff, believing that I’m good enough to be playing.”

The Marquette Intercollegiate will be held at the Milwaukee Country Club in River Hills, Wisconsin. This will be the first time anyone on the team has seen this course at the collegiate level. 

“I think we are moving in the right direction and have a lot of good things to build off of,” Coach Tank said when asked about his thoughts on the weekend ahead. “Having a short turnaround right now is great, and I think everyone is just excited to get back out there and keep moving forward.”

The Cyclones will tee off at the Marquette Intercollegiate Sunday morning and conclude on Monday.