Three incumbents to represent Ames in the legislature 

Owen Aanestad

Will Custis holds up his “I Voted” sticker at Maple Residence Hall on Tuesday Nov. 8, 2022.

Stacia Drey, Politics Reporter

Incumbent Democrats Beth Wessel-Kroeschell, Ross Wilburn and Herman Quirmbach will represent Ames in the Iowa Legislature.

Iowa House of Representatives Races

Incumbent Democrat Beth Wessel-Kroeschell has won her uncontested Iowa House of Representatives seat. She will rejoin the House for another session representing the people of Ames in District 49. She earned 97.2% of the votes.

The photo of Rep. Beth Wessel-Kroeschell is the courtesy of the Iowa State Daily, and the image of Rep. Ross Wilburn is courtesy of the Washington Post. (Graphic by Biong Biong)

Representative Wessel-Kroeschell will be serving her 10th consecutive term in office. In her term, she hopes to increase access to abortion and birth control. Wessel-Kroeschell also wants to address the legalization of marijuana in her coming term. 

“We have states all around us that have legalized marijuana; Iowans are driving to Illinois and other states to have access to legal marijuana,” Wessel-Kroeschell previously told the Daily. “It is safer if we legalize it because we can regulate it and make sure that it’s not laced with other dangerous drugs or chemicals, and I would also support regulating it so it is only for adults like alcohol.”

Find Wessel-Kroeschell’s full profile from the Daily here. 

Incumbent Democrat Ross Wilburn has won his uncontested Iowa House of Representatives seat. He will rejoin the House for another session representing the people of Ames in District 50. He earned 97% of the votes.

Wilburn is focusing on lowering the cost of childcare, healthcare, food and utility costs for Iowans this term. As previously reported by the Daily, his website states that he believes public schools in Iowa have lost the strong foundation they used to have, and he hopes to restore this foundation during his term by supporting teachers and Iowa students.

Find Wilburn’s full profile from the Daily here.

Iowa Senate Race

Incumbent Democrat Herman C. Quirmbach has won another term in the Iowa Senate representing District 25. He defeated Libertarian challenger Jordan Taylor by a margin of 9,787 votes with 75.7% of the votes.

Iowa State Sen. Herman Quirmbach is 72 years old and is a retired Iowa State economics professor. (Courtesy of Steve Alexander)

Quirmbach takes strong stances against the majority Republican party. He said he believes the Republican-controlled legislature has failed to support education in Iowa. He supports the second amendment with higher restrictions. 

“So, my position isn’t opposed to legitimate hunting weapons, it is against AR-15s that are designed and used to kill lots of people in a hurry,” Quirmbach previously told the Daily. “And certain crazy people whose access to guns should be interrupted.”

He also supports the right to an abortion before fetal viability with exceptions for mothers at risk and in cases of rape and incest. 

Find Quirmbach’s full profile from the Daily here.