Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones complete sweep of Grand View

Daniel Jacobi II

The wrestling team lines up to be announced before the match against California Baptist on Saturday Nov. 12, 2022.

Anthony Hanson, Sports Reporter

No. 8 Iowa State wrestling took the mat Sunday against the NAIA’s Grand View College at Humboldt High School, the home of head coach Kevin Dresser.

With lengthy win streaks on the line, Iowa State completed a shutout of the Vikings by a final score of 40-0.

Something had to give

Iowa State and Grand View both entered Sunday’s match holding an impressive total of dual wins. Iowa State extended the second-longest dual win streak in Division I wrestling with its convincing win on Sunday.

Iowa State has now won 18 consecutive duals, the fourth-longest win streak in program history. Only Penn State has more consecutive wins in NCAA Division 1 wrestling.

Grand View entered the matchup with its own impressive win streak on the line. The Vikings have won 10 of the last 11 championships while competing in the NAIA and had not lost in 116 duals.

The last Grand View loss came against Iowa State, the last time the two programs faced head-to-head. Nov. 7, 2013, the Cyclone squad, including No. 3 Kyven Gadson, defeated the Vikings 22-18.

An answer at 157

For the 2022-23 season, Iowa State’s David Carr has abandoned his post at 157-pounds. The senior has moved up to the 165-pound weight class for his final year in the Cyclone uniform.

With the move, Carr left what seemed like the only hole in the Cyclone lineup at 157. Senior Jason Kraisser, the current starter at that weight, lost both his first matchups during the opening weekend of the season.

Kraisser fell to Little Rock’s Matthew Bianchi and Wisconsin’s Garrett Model during the Battle for the River City tournament. Since returning to Hilton Coliseum on Nov. 12, Kraisser has more than bounced back.

Sunday, Kraisser won by fall over Grand View’s Giovanni Bonilla. It was the second straight pin for the Iowa State senior. Against California Baptist in Iowa State’s home opener, Kraisser won by fall over Joseph Mora.

Bounce back dual

After Iowa State’s win over California Baptist in the home opener, Dresser said his team felt good at six weights and maybe not at four weights.

The Cyclones won easily over California Baptist, but after Iowa State’s Zach Redding and Tyson Terukina suffered losses, Dresser said his team had to figure some things out.  

Dresser cited Iowa State’s first one-hour weigh-in of the season as a reason for Iowa State not feeling great at four weights.

In Sunday’s dual, Iowa State weighed-in and responded with a complete sweep of Grand View. Terukina responded to his loss with a 5-2 decision win over Esco Walker from Grand View.

Up next, Iowa State will return to Hilton Coliseum for a true home event. Nov. 26, the Cyclones will host the Cyclone Open.