Homecoming parade is a chance to celebrate Iowa State

Kylie Kost/Iowa State Daily

The Iowa State Homecoming Parade was held on Main Street Oct. 23. 

Lindsey Settle

The annual Iowa State Homecoming Parade is not only a tradition that kicks off Homecoming week but an event that showcases groups that make up Iowa State’s culture. It’s an opportunity for those who love Iowa State to celebrate their school pride.

“We’re all so in love with Iowa State and everything it stands for; so to have an entire parade kind of be decked in cardinal and gold and to have CY there, and things like that, it’s just really special for the people who love Iowa State as much as we do,” said Mary Kate Misak, manager of student programs for the ISU Alumni Association. “That’s why I love it.” 

This year’s parade will include over 60 parade entries and new attractions that center around music as well as student organizations and businesses from around Ames. Community members, students, staff, faculty and fans are encouraged to attend the parade this Sunday at 2 p.m.

Parade Co-Chair Jenny Long said her favorite memory of the parade is when an elderly alumnus told her how she had been to the homecoming parade decades prior and was thrilled it was back after being taken away for a few years.

Unlike a parade centered around a holiday, the Homecoming parade was established to celebrate all that encompasses Iowa State and is in part what makes the parade so special, Misak said.

The parade route will start on Fifth Street and Clark Avenue and continue onto Main Street. Food trucks will be available in three locations on Clark Avenue, Burnett Avenue and Kellogg Avenue.

In an effort to provide easy transportation to students living on campus, an express bus route will pick up students at the Memorial Union and Maple-Willow-Larch stops before and after the parade. This route has been used before for the parade, however the parade co-chairs say with increased promotion it’s their hope it will attract more students to attend the parade this year.