Three Big Takeaways: Iowa State men’s golf finishes top 10 at Wyoming Cowboy Classic

Collin Maguire

Iowa State men’s golf head coach Andrew Tank watches the team practice at the Coldwater Golf Links on April 3.

Daniel Krivacs, Sports Reporter

Round three of the Wyoming Cowboy Classic has concluded, and Iowa State showed growth throughout the event.

The Cyclones showed potential overall going into the final stretch of the season. These are three big takeaways from the final day.  

Two Cyclones place top 10 individually

Freshman Paul Beauvy and sophomore Luke Gutschewski both placed in the top 10 for the Cyclones in the individual standings. Beauvy finished tied for sixth place and Gutschewski finished in a tie for 10th place. 

Beauvy needed a big rebound after shooting five over on the back nine of the second round, and he got it. A birdie on the 18th hole secured a two under par finish on the day for Beauvy, putting him at three under par for the tournament with a total score of 213, the second-best finish of his career. Beauvy was also the only Cyclone to shoot under par in round three.  

Luke Gutschewski shot a bogey on the 18th hole of round three which put him at one over par on the day and two under par for the classic. Gutschewski finished with a total score of 214, just one behind Beauvy.  

Top-half finish for the first time since Fall 

The Cyclones have had a tough six-month stretch. They have not finished in the top half of a tournament as a team since October in the Marquette Intercollegiate, where they placed fourth out of 15 teams. They got it done Tuesday.  

Of the 21 teams that competed in the Wyoming Cowboy Classic, Iowa State finished in 10th place. Their final score of 878 put them two shots ahead of 11th place, No. 34 ranked TCU, who finished with an 880.  

Iowa State has been unable to break the top half of the team standings in six months. There was potential to get it done at the Colleton River Classic after a strong second round, but the Cyclones were unable to place in the top six.  

The Wyoming Cowboy Classic demonstrated more consistent team scores from Iowa State across all three rounds (286, 293, 299) which resulted in their top-half finish.  

Despite the team score from each round getting worse as the classic continued, the Cyclones were able to keep the wheels from falling off. This is the opposite of what happened to UT Arlington, who scored a 309 in the third round, which dropped them five places and out of the top 10 as a result.  

Quick turnaround 

The Cyclones will have less than a week until their next event, the Tiger Collegiate Invitational hosted by the University of Missouri and played in Columbia, Missouri.  

The Cyclones have the opportunity to build on some of the momentum they gained by placing in the top half of a tournament with many good teams participating.  

Iowa State had two golfers finish in the top 10 of the individual standings. Wyoming and Kansas were the only other teams to place two golfers in the top 10 individually.  

With two golfers in the top 10 individually, the team with a top-half finish overall after the Wyoming Cowboy Classic and a busy April, there is plenty of golf left to be played this season in which the Cyclones can improve off what they did in Arizona. 

The Tiger Collegiate Invitational will start Monday and conclude on Tuesday.