Students reflect on College of Human Sciences week

Taylor Hagie/Iowa State Daily

Liquid nitrogen at -320 degrees Fahrenheit gets poured into a saucepan to get mixed in with the heavy cream, milk, sugar, and flavoring to create liquid nitrogen ice cream. The event was held by the Food Science Club on Oct. 11 in MacKay Hall for Human Sciences week.

Laurel Glynn

Iowa State’s College of Human Sciences has wrapped up its CHS week to share their hard work with the rest of campus.

Students from all over campus ate cherry pie in the Tearoom, attended speakers and panels and celebrated on Central Campus, but CHS week was not all about the events that were held.

The goal was participation from students and staff outside of the college, and the week exceeded expectations.

Ryan True, senior in kinesiology and co-chair of human sciences week, said he was proud of his team who worked to accomplish their goals as he worked behind the scenes to ensure events ran smoothly.

“The leadership team members modeled how we can best serve our peers,” True said. “But it was an all encompassing effort from the team as a whole.”

The “team effort” was evident at Thursday’s carnival, which celebrated the college as a whole, but students also worked hard to celebrate individual departments in their own events.

“The Game of Life did very well,” True said, recalling Tuesday’s event put on by the Human Development and Family Studies department.

Lydia Schafer, freshman in apparel, merchandising and design, participated in several of the events the week had to offer and said she felt good about the way her college was represented.

“I think it mainly reached the people in the college, but they did well showcasing all the different majors and departments in the college,” Schafer said.

True speculated that attendance was so high in and outside the college because there were fewer events to focus on than in past years.

“It’s easier for five main events to get publicity than 30 events,” True said.

True said it allowed for more opportunities for positive interaction with peers and professors.

Schafer also came out of the week with a positive outlook. She said participating in the events and witnessing the hard work of those in her college made her proud.

“I just really loved being able to see my peers doing things all over campus for a week,” Schafer said.

The week had a positive impact on the College of Human Sciences, and the enthusiastic participation of students outside the college proves that they were impacted, too.

“It was a really good week,” True said. “I think overall we made a lot of people happy.”