Collegiate Women in Business Travel to Minneapolis for Corporate Trip

Kirstie Martin

Iowa State Collegiate Women in Business (CWIB) members took a day trip to Minneapolis on Tuesday, Oct. 2. Members spent the day touring Best Buy Headquarters, Target Headquarters and U.S. Bank Stadium. CWIB takes a corporate trip each semester to allow CWIB members to meet business professionals.

Brooklyn Treinen, Collegiate Women in Business President, said she joined CWIB her freshman year originally to network with business professionals and meet other young women in business,

“At the time, I had no idea that Collegiate Women in Business would introduce me to lifelong best friends,” Treinen said. “I had the opportunity to grow as a young professional in ways I never thought were possible.”

Treinen said the goal of CWIB’s corporate trips are to, “observe the company’s work process and understand their problem-solving methods. Each company has a different type of environment, providing new, innovative ways of thinking about goal-setting and performance measures.”

Kaylee Galles, a freshman CWIB member, said she learned a lot from the trip, including that, “most corporations work as one big team. Everyone has a specific job, but they all work together as one big family.”

During the tour at Target Headquarters members toured Bullseye’s Playground. During this tour CWIB members got to see the decision making process behind Target’s product choices. Treinen said, Our members had the chance to view new products that will not be released until Fall of 2019. Through this exclusive opportunity, I gained insight about the great competitive advantage Target holds within one of their least expensive areas in store.”

“My favorite part of the trip was visiting the US bank. Even though I’m not a Vikings fan it was still a cool experience to see/walk on the field,” Galles shared.

Treinen said her favorite part of the trip was getting to know each Collegiate Women in Business member on a more personal level, “Through traveling to another city and riding in a car together for six hours in one day, you start to learn quite a bit about one another.”

CWIB continues to present their members with more opportunities for networking and professional growth. Treinen shared, “Later in October, Collegiate Women in Business will be taking another corporate trip to Principal Financial Group. Each year, Principal invites women groups from Iowa State University, University of Iowa, and University of Northern Iowa for an inside look of Principal’s campus and business opportunities.”