Weingarten: Remembering Celia Barquín Arozamena

Sarah Henry/Iowa State Daily
Before the football game against University of Akron on Sept. 22, 2019, a video tribute was shown honoring Celia Barquín Arozamena. Members of the audience participated in a moment of silence to remember the Cyclone gold athlete at Jack Trice Stadium. The crowd was filled with yellow, as that was Barquin Arozamena’s favorite color.

Five years ago (Sept. 17, 2018), Iowa State golfer Celia Barquín Arozamena was killed at Coldwater Links golf course here in Ames. As the 2018 Big 12 Women’s Golf Champion and Iowa State Female Athlete of the Year, Arozamena had her opportunity at a successful future taken from her. Today, we must remember her. Not only was Arozamena a stand-out athlete, but she was a daughter, a friend, a student, a teammate and someone who deserved better.

Instead of rehashing this terrible event, it is better to examine her record and show how important she was to the Iowa State community. 

Arozamena was born in Puente San Miguel, Reocín, Cantabria, Spain, and was a promising golf prospect from a young age.

In 2015-16 she competed for the Spanish golf team in the European Ladies’ Team Championship, where the team finished second place. 

In 2018, Arozamena won the European Ladies’ Amatuer Championship in Slovakia. According to her Wikipedia page, “[Arozamena] set a course record of 63.”

Not only did she win in a defining fashion in Europe, she was also slated to compete in the 2018 U.S. Women’s Open.

Arozamena began attending Iowa State University in 2014, seeking a degree in civil engineering. It was in her final year at Iowa State when she was murdered. 

Arozamena deserves to be recognized for her accomplishments. Being the most decorated women’s golfer in Iowa State history, Arozamena stood for excellence and determination.

Here in Ames, we should be proud to have such an outstanding person continue to represent Iowa State, even if she is no longer with us.

From all of us at the Daily, we ask you to keep Arozamena in your thoughts. 

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500