Memorial Union to open new sushi and boba option “Sushi Do”

Courtesy of Megan Moore

The Memorial Union is set to bring a new option to its food court this fall. Sushi Do will open to students and visitors this October on the first floor in the location adjacent to Panda Express.

Sushi Do, meaning “The way of sushi”, began in 2007 as a delivery company and has continued to grow and expand, opening food services in universities, museums, hospitals and corporate cafes. Sushi Do has now established locations on over 25 university campuses across the country.

Courtesy of Megan Moore

The new Memorial Union location will be hosting a soft launch to the public on Monday. Starting at 11:00 a.m., free samples of sushi and complimentary reusable grocery bags will be given out to the first 500 customers.

“I think having a fresh, grab-and-go option is always going to be a win for our students because of their busy schedules,” said Memorial Union Marketing Specialist Megan Moore.

The menu will feature eight traditional sushi rolls as well as six specialty rolls. Options include the spicy California roll, cream cheese roll and shrimp tempura roll. Sushi Do will also offer three choices of appetizers: edamame, seaweed salad and gyoza. In addition to sushi, the service will also offer a variety of boba teas on its menu.

Most menu items will fall in the price range of $7-12. It is also noted that Sushi Do will be a cashless service.

“At the moment, we don’t have a signed agreement with how Sushi Do will operate with dining dollars or meal plans, but for now, cash and major credit cards will be accepted,” Moore said.

Following its official launch in October, Sushi Do will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday as well as from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday and Sunday. The food service will be closed on Saturday.

The addition of sushi to the Memorial Union’s food court comes after positive student feedback and the success of Pono Poké. The poké bowl option has become a student favorite at the food court, and MU staff believes that Sushi Do, an option that offers a similar cuisine, will also achieve great success.

Sushi Do will be filling the location previously occupied by Dolce Freddo, a gelato service that closed during the previous academic year.

“I’m thankful for the partnership we have with ISU Dining, as they have set us up for success in this space,” Moore said. “The coolers that were previously used for the gelato will be great for the sushi ingredients. Our talented in-house mechanical staff worked so hard to get the space ready and retrofitted everything for Sushi Do’s needs.”

Further information is still to be announced on the official launch date, but students are encouraged to drop in and get a taste of what is to come at Sushi Do’s soft launch beginning on Monday at 11:00 a.m.