Cyclones lose fourth straight in shutout against Cincinnati

Maeley Rosengren
Iowa State’s starting lineup waiting to be announced at the Iowa State vs. Kentucky Women’s Soccer match at the Cyclone Sports Complex on Sept. 10, 2023.

The Iowa State soccer’s season-long lack of offense stayed stagnant in its 1-0 road loss to Cincinnati on Sunday and fell to 3-7-1 on the season.

The Iowa State soccer team entered the game this afternoon on a three-match losing streak and had not won a Big 12 conference game since 2021. After today, that did not change.

The Bearcats got a goal from Ellie Flower in the 26th minute off a penalty kick and the Cyclones did not respond, resulting in its seventh loss of the season.

Here are the three takeaways from the Cyclones’ fourth road loss of the season.

Iowa State’s offensive struggles continue

For the second straight game, Iowa State couldn’t find the back of the net and was shut out in the 1-0 loss to Cincinnati.

The Cyclones got four shots up, two of them being on goal against a strong Bearcat defense. Cincinnati gave itself more of an opportunity to win this affair with its 10 shots, five of which were on goal.

The Cyclones did have a slight advantage in corner kicks, 5-4, over the Bearcats but failed to turn those opportunities into goals.

Penalties crush Cyclones once again

The last time the Cyclones took the pitch, penalties were their Achilles heel as they had 18 more fouls than West Virginia. Today’s match showed some slight progress but still found the Cyclones having a major fouling issue.

Iowa State recorded 11 fouls on the day compared to the Bearcats eight. Only a three foul difference is nothing too bad but it was fouling in untimely situations that ended the Cyclones.

Cincanti’s one and only goal came off a foul in the 26th minute that gave the Bearcats’ Flower a golden opportunity to score with a penalty kick, and she capitalized. Flower gave the Bearcats a 1-0 lead that they never gave up.

Cyclones’ great defense is not enough

For the second straight game, the Cyclones only allowed one goal, but for the second straight game they have not answered offensively.

Iowa State goalie Avery Gillahan once again showed her great play only allowing one goal while facing 10 shots. Gillahan also recorded four saves and kept the Cyclones within striking distance with her play.

The rest of the defense came up with big plays as well throughout the game. Iowa State’s defensive effort kept the game close and gave the offense multiple chances but the offense didn’t capitalize as the Cyclones were shutout for the third game this season.

The Cyclones are back in action at 6 p.m. Thursday in Ames as they take on the Houston Cougars.