CyBowl Buck Bowling offers affordable entertainment for students

Jacob Rice

Located in the basement of the Memorial Union, Cybowl has provided students and visitors with affordable and exciting entertainment since 1939.

The eight-lane alley hosts numerous special events and promotions for students, but a fan favorite seems to be CyBowl’s Buck Bowling nights.

“We definitely see an increase in students during Buck Bowling,” CyBowl employee Garrett German, a junior in accounting, said. “It gets pretty busy on weekends through Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursdays it’s usually a bit more quiet.”

Cai Chen, a sophomore in mechanical engineering, attended Buck Bowling Monday after friends encouraged him to give it a try.

Despite it being only Chen’s fourth time ever bowling, friends noted that he was still managing to dominate his competition.

“It’s my first time here but it’s been really fun,” said Chen.

Buck Bowling takes place Sunday and Monday from noon to close. The special promotion includes a game of bowling, shoe rental and sodas each for $1. Students are required to provide a valid ISU ID to be eligible for the discounts.

In addition to its Buck Bowling nights, CyBowl also hosts $2’s-day for students every Tuesday. This promotion offers students billiard table rentals, Rockstar energy drinks and corndogs each for $2.

For those who aren’t exactly bowling fanatics, CyBowl offers alternatives such as billiards, arcade games and even a Wii console for students to play. Billiard tables can be rented at $3 per hour for students and $4 per hour to the general public.

Free activities are also available at CyBowl for students looking to save some extra cash. Games include cornhole, giant jenga and table tennis. Board games such as chess and checkers are also free to play and available for checkout behind the counter. 

The venue’s Wii game console can be rented for $5 per hour.

CyBowl is in the midst of a few renovations, looking to further improve each student’s experience. New wallpaper and lights were recently installed as well as the addition of new pool cues in the billiards area. 

“We’re also in the process of fixing the lanes too,” CyBowl employee Zach Cashman, a freshman in supply chain management, said.

CyBowl is open to students and visitors Sunday through Thursday from noon to 10 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from noon to midnight. On select nights when ISU AfterDark is taking place, CyBowl remains open until 1 a.m.

“It’s a really fun place to be, you can even come here to just hang out or study,” German said. “We’ve got a really good menu too, and I promise the food isn’t terrible.”