Weingarten: A final note on Israel

Opinion+Editor+Caleb+Weingarten+discusses+why+Sen.+Bernie+Sanders+is+right+about+the+Israel-Hamas+war.+
Photo by Cole Keister on Unsplash
Opinion Editor Caleb Weingarten discusses why Sen. Bernie Sanders is right about the Israel-Hamas war.

In this rather brief final note on the events in Israel, it is important to address a few things.

First, I want to thank everyone who has interacted with my articles. In my short time so far as the opinion editor, my work on Israel has been, by far, the most engaged with. Whether you support my views and opinions is not the point. 

In reality, you should not agree with me simply out of principle. It is the writer’s job to present a case that gets the reader thinking. 

But as these events in Israel continue to take place and the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) prepare for a ground assault on Gaza, simple disagreement does not excuse the denial of truth. Taking a pro-Palestine position does not make one anti-Semitic. This is an egregious comparison. Hamas is undoubtedly an anti-Semitic organization that seeks the destruction of the Jewish heritage. I am not disputing that.

What I am disputing is the violation of the basic human rights of the Palestinian people. I truly do not know what is controversial about this statement. If one states they are horrified by the acts of Hamas, they could, in the same breath, denounce the illegal and vicious occupation of Palestine by Israel that has pre-dated this war. 

So where do we go from here? Well, on campus, the best option we have is continued conversation. If anyone has anything more to say on the issue, please submit your opinion columns. Given the reactions and arguments in the comments sections of my articles, I can understand why one may fear speaking out, but in no way should this deter you.

The Daily supports writers who are honest, well-intentioned and have something to say. A larger debate on the Israel issue could spark greater change that allows those on both sides of this conflict to understand one another.

Unfortunately, this conflict is deep, and no clear solution is on the horizon. I am afraid we are all just waiting for the inevitable catastrophe that will determine which direction this war goes.

But can we influence the extent of this catastrophe? Absolutely. However, if we sit in silence in our own closed, comfortable universe, then we can’t claim any moral superiority while people die over things that can be mitigated with enough pressure.

In closing, I sincerely hope everyone affected by this war can find a way out. Mentally and physically. 

Love one another. Peace be with you all.

If you wish to submit an editorial, email me at [email protected]

View Comments (4)
$2700
$2500