Contreraz earns second Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week

Tyler Coe
Tyler Perkins flips the ball to Chase Contreraz to convert the fake field goal for a first down against Cincinnati at Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati on Oct. 14, 2023.

Iowa State kicker Chase Contreraz earned the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week award following the Cyclones’ 30-10 win over Cincinnati.

That was Contreraz’s second time earning the honor, as the first time came following his performance in Iowa State’s win over Oklahoma State.

He also became the first player in the Big 12 to have been awarded the honor more than once in a season. So far, Contreraz has been a tremendous pickup for the Cyclones after he transferred from Nebraska.

Contreraz’s main highlight of the day was during a fake-field goal play that resulted in an Iowa State first down deep in Cincinnati territory.

The play occurred on a fourth-and-five at the Bearcats’ 15-yard line as Contreraz lined up for a field goal. Placeholder and punter Tyler Perkins flipped the ball to Contreraz for a six-yard rush to continue the Cyclones’ drive.

Apparently, that type of play had been secretly worked on during the week prior, so when Contreraz got the green light to run it, he made the most of the opportunity.

“I was like I’m ready, let’s do it,” Contreraz said. “I’ve been in college football for six years now and it’s the first time I got an opportunity to do something like that, so I was more than ready to do it.”

The offense ended up converting following the trick play from Contreraz with a two-yard rush from quarterback Rocco Becht that gave Iowa State its second three-point lead of the game.

Becht had recalled the play before, too, as Oklahoma did the exact same play that resulted in a touchdown when Iowa State played them a year ago.

The same play eventually ended up being implemented into the Cyclones’ playbook and was successfully converted.

“We actually put that in later during the week,” Becht said. “That was actually the play Oklahoma ran last year, and they ended up scoring on us, so we took that from them and it was awesome to see.”

Wide receiver Jayden Higgins had himself a performance to remember with six receptions for 172 yards. He gave his thoughts on the trick play that eventually led to a touchdown.

“I thought it was great,” Higgins said. “I didn’t even know it was a run, and I thought it got blocked initially. He broke a few tackles and I told him he looked like a running back out there, and I thought he was gonna score honestly.”

While Contreraz’s day was highlighted by the trick play, he was also perfect on the day with his kicks. He converted on all of his field goals and extra-point attempts, going three-for-three in each category.

It will definitely be a day that Contreraz will remember for the rest of his life, as those types of plays do not come by often. Iowa State’s win Saturday brought them back over .500 for the second time this season as the team looks to continue its success following the bye week.