Residence halls with the most alcohol violations this year

Meredith Kestel

Iowa State had eight alcohol violations with eight citations and four arrests within campus residence halls this academic year.

Iowa State’s residence halls permit individuals over the legal age of 21 to possess alcohol in their apartments or dorm rooms, regardless of their roommate’s age, according to the Department of Residence conduct policies. There are certain substance-free halls that do not permit alcohol.

“Maple and Eaton Halls, and Lincoln, Palmer, Pennell and Stange Houses in Friley Hall are substance-free areas,” stated Senior Residence Life Coordinator Linda Svenson. “Use of substances, including alcohol, tobacco and illegal drugs are prohibited to all students in these areas, regardless of age.”

In cases of underage alcohol possession or consumption, residence assistants are required to file incident reports. These incident reports are electronically cataloged in the residence hall databases.

“If an RA (resident assistant) encounters alcohol in a space in which alcohol is prohibited, the process is for the RA to have the students dispose of any alcohol present and submit an incident report,” Svenson stated. “In some cases, ISU PD is also involved. All Department of Residence conduct records are managed in an electronic database.” 

Given that recreational marijuana is illegal in the state of Iowa, neither the resident assistants nor the hall directors can deal with any issues concerning marijuana. In the case of a smell, suspicion or sighting of marijuana, the Iowa State Police Department is called immediately, who deals with the issue independently.

If marijuana is found in possession or consumption, a direct arrest or citation is made.

Listed below are the offenses that took place this academic year along with the residence hall they took place in.

Geoffroy Hall had the greatest number of reports, with four alcohol violations resulting in one arrest and three citations.

Buchanan Hall had two instances of alcohol violation and two citations.

Linden Hall had one instance of alcohol violation and one case of public intoxication, with one citation and one arrest respectively.

Larch Hall had one instance of drug violation, with one arrest.

Willow Hall had one alcohol violation, with one citation.

Wilson Hall had one instance of public intoxication, with one arrest.

Roberts Hall had one drug violation, with one citation.

All reports and numbers were taken from the public crime log of the Iowa State Police Department.

According to the Iowa State Department of Residence, dorms with the highest number of freshmen most often had the most reported incidents, though the names of offenders are protected. 

“All student-identifying information is confidential and protected and not public. Non-identifying information may be available,” Svenson stated.