‘The sky’s the limit’: Higgins explodes to the top of the wide receiver room

Tyler Coe
Jayden Higgins on the field after Iowa State defeated Cincinnati 30-10 at Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati on Oct. 14, 2023.

AMES — Coming into Iowa State, Eastern Kentucky transfer Jayden Higgins was expected to be good, yet he still exceeded everyone’s expectations, now leading the Cyclones in 438 yards and three touchdowns.

The wide receiver emerged as the No. 1 threat in the air over the course of the season. The next closest receiver is Jaylin Noel, the expected No. 1 receiver, with just over 300 yards.

Higgins has proven himself as a major threat in the passing game, especially on deep balls. If the ball is near him, Higgins will catch it.

“He makes catches where the ball might not be in the right place,” Iowa State quarterback Rocco Becht said. “He bails me out.”

Higgins took his new role in stride and has excelled at what makes him a great player. Higgins embodies a similar trait to other Cyclone greats.

Not only does Higgins have great hands and speed, he is a big receiver. He can outbody any defensive back that tries to guard him. That became clear from the jump, as Higgins had a touchdown catch in two of the first three games.

“For Rocco to have multiple guys that he felt like had experience, and even though that experience wasn’t here, that he could lean on, that he could rely on, I do think it’s helpful,” Iowa State offensive coordinator Nate Scheelhaase said.

Higgins knew he wanted to be that guy for Becht from the start. Iowa State quarterbacks in the past have had a big-bodied receiver to help with big plays. Higgins wanted to follow in their footsteps.

“They’ve had a couple of big receivers, like my stature kinda, that have been able to make big time plays,” Higgins said.

Higgins saw players like Hakeem Butler, Allen Lazard and Xavier Hutchinson excel in their roles. Those big receivers rose to the top of the wide receiver room and even moved on to the next level.

All Higgins wanted to do when he transferred was replicate their success.

“It was just on me to come here and do that,” Higgins said.

Higgins played for Eastern Kentucky for two years and was the star of the wide receiver room. He broke out for 757 yards on 58 catches and 10 touchdowns as a sophomore.

After that breakout season, Higgins knew he had to take his talents to the big stage. Higgins was recruited by a small handful of schools, but the one that stuck out the most was Iowa State.

Iowa State’s Jayden Higgins smiles as his teammates talk to him on the sideline during the second half of the Jack Trice Legacy football game against Texas Christian on Oct. 7, 2023, at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames, Iowa. (Daniel Jacobi II)

From the moment he stepped foot at Iowa State, Higgins knew it was the choice.

“I really liked it here,” Higgins said. “I liked coach Scheelhaase; at the time he was the one that recruited me the most. I liked coach Campbell. I just like the environment. The guys around, and I thought I could do good here.”

Higgins’ relationship with Scheelhaase also started from his first visit. Higgins caught Scheelhaase’s attention while he was first at Iowa State because he had been a kid that Scheelhaase had an eye on.

Scheelhaase noticed the talent Higgins had while at Eastern Kentucky and knew those talents would serve Iowa State’s offense well. Higgins was a kid that fit everything that Iowa State wanted from a receiver.

When Higgins got to Iowa State, Scheelhaase’s hunch about him was right. He was a guy that exuded the Cyclone way.

“He had that feel to him that he felt like he was one of us already,” Scheelhaase said.

Scheelhaase also connected with Higgins’ parents, which was a big factor in the recruiting process. Higgins’ mother is in education, which Scheelhaase valued, while Higgins’ father was a man who taught Higgins the right way to go about life.

Scheelhaase had nothing but good things to say about Higgins’ whole family, especially his father.

“He’s one of those dudes, when you’re around him, you know that the right things matter to him, matter to his family,” Scheelhaase said.

The strong connection that Scheelhaase had with Higgins’ family helped him also gain a strong connection with Higgins. Scheelhaase did not look at Higgins as a receiver or a player who could benefit his offense. Scheelhaase looked at who Higgins was as a man and what he could bring to the team’s culture.

When Higgins got to Iowa State, he fit in right away. The staff helped him settle in over the offseason and work on the little things that differed from Eastern Kentucky to Iowa State.

Higgins also got plenty of reps in fall camp to get him up to speed. All those things helped Higgins become a balanced player and gain confidence before the season even started.

“You never felt like he was overwhelmed,” Scheelhaase said. “You felt like everyday he got better.”

New players tend to struggle when entering a new program. Especially when coming into a Big 12 offense, the change in pace can make players’ heads spin.

However, Higgins had a work ethic that helped him get up to speed faster than normal. Higgins knew that if he wanted to exceed, he had to put in maximum effort.

Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell noticed that effort from the start. Higgins was not a guy to take things easy. He gave 110 percent on everything he did.

When Campbell left the facilities at night, Higgins was still there working. He was watching tape and helping young guys get up to speed as well.

Higgins was not transitioning to Iowa State like a first-year transfer; he was already acting like a veteran leader.

Iowa State’s Jayden Higgins celebrates a first down during the first half of the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series football game against Iowa on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023, at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames. (Daniel Jacobi II)

It was to no one’s surprise during the second game of the season when Higgins broke out for nearly 100 yards and a touchdown. Everyone on the team knew Higgins had the potential to be a star. He just needed to realize that himself.

“Jayden, he’s an awesome player,” Becht said. “In the beginning of the season, I don’t think he had his full confidence there. I feel like he didn’t know how high the ceiling was for him.”

Even when Higgins had his breakout game and found consistent success, he still was unhappy with his results. There were still small things in his game that were expected of a transfer, but still not acceptable for him.

Higgins knew if he locked in, he could be great. Not just every once in a while. He could be great during every game, on every drive and on every catch.

The game that Higgins knew he could have came in Iowa State’s road win against Cincinnati when he exploded for 172 yards on six catches. Everything finally came together for Higgins.

“He was probably his biggest critic early on,” Scheelhaase said. “So you felt like you knew he was gonna have games like these last few.”

So far, it appears that Higgins has more good weeks than bad. When Higgins does good things on the field, the Cyclones find success.

The Cyclones knew they would get an eventual star in Higgins, and he is starting to show what he can do.

“It’s fun to watch him really start to evolve into the player I think we all believed he’s got the ability to become,” Campbell said.

As the Cyclones take on tougher competition on the horizon, Higgins will be a key piece going forward to keep a bowl game in sight.

Higgins gained the trust of his team with his performance on the field and in practice. That trust is why Becht and Scheelhaase ensure he has the ball in his hands whenever possible.

“Hopefully moving forward, he’s able to play like that every week and we’re able to give him the ball,” Becht said.

Although Higgins was not the most highly recruited receiver, he always had a tool kit that would make him successful.

Higgins exuded what Iowa State preaches. He is selfless and will do whatever it takes for his team to win. Pairing that winning mentality with his talent and size, and the Higgins that came out against Cincinnati will be around more often in the future.

“Any time you have a guy like that, you feel like the sky’s the limit,” Scheelhaase said.