Cyclones dive into road trip to South Dakota

Daniel Jacobi II
Iowa State swimmers cheer on their teammate during a race against UNI and West Virginia in Beyer Hall on Jan. 21, 2023.

The Iowa State swimming and diving team is getting ready to pack its bags to head north to compete against South Dakota and South Dakota State over the weekend.

Before heading to South Dakota, the Cyclones are coming off a meet against Nebraska. The Cyclones fell to the Cornhuskers by a final score of 167-132.

The Cyclones started out the meet with a win in the women’s 200-yard medley relay with Emma Kuhn, Paige Hanley, Carley Caughron and Lydia McClugage. They finished with a time of 1:45:26 to take the event.

Later, after taking the win along with the team in the 200 yard-medley relay, Caughron came out on top with a win in the women’s 100-yard freestyle with a time of 51.86 and also won the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 23.78.

Iowa State then finished the day with a win in the women’s 400-yard freestyle relay with Caughron, Maddie Ziegert, Andie Quirke and Brinley Horras with a final time of 3:30.55.

Starting out the day on the diving side, sophomore Lauren Kimball finished third with a score of 276.45 in the women’s three-meter dive, while sophomore Kate Mitchell finished fourth with a score of 255.25.

Iowa State ended the diving portion of the meet in the women’s one-meter dive with sophomore Ally Blumenfeld finishing fourth with a score of 240.65. Then Kimball finished in fifth place with a score of 238.70.

The Cyclones will travel to compete against the Coyotes, who have already competed against a few strong schools, including Minnesota and Nebraska. The Cyclones are set to start the meet at 5 p.m. Friday in the DakotaDome Pool in Vermillion, South Dakota.

A day later, the Cyclones will stay in South Dakota to take on South Dakota State. That meet will begin at 1 p.m. Saturday in Brookings, South Dakota.