Freeskating, bongo drums: All on display at Open Spaces

Katelyn Squiers
Michael Deely, a sophomore studying mechanical engineering, jumps off a table onto a pair of freeskates at the Open Spaces event at the Student Innovation Center Oct. 26.

Students of all skill levels could be seen skating around with one wheel attached to each of their feet in front of the Student Innovation Center as part of the first Open Spaces event of the year. 

“I just saw someone doing it and was like, ‘I have got to try that out,’” said Devon Rees, a freshman in animal ecology.

The first Open Spaces event since the COVID-19 pandemic took place from 7–9 p.m. Thursday at the Student Innovation Center.

The event was orchestrated by Iowa State professor Jean-Pierre Taoutel after he received an Inclusion Initiatives Grant from Iowa State in 2019. Inspired by a community center in Paris, the event aims to bring students from a wide variety of backgrounds together by sharing their skills and talents with one another.

“These people didn’t know each other before tonight; now they are all working together and teaching each other their own skills,” Taoutel said. “Hopefully they’ll all leave tonight with some new friends.”

A wide variety of activities were on display Thursday night as students brought freeskates, bongo drums, painting supplies and more to share with others.

Rees brought five of his own pair of freeskates to help spread the activity to other students and teach them the basics. A freeskate ambassador for the brand JMKRIDE, Rees sought to get others involved in one of his own favorite activities. 

“We definitely caught some eyes,” Rees said.

Mallorie Mogler, a junior in finance, attended the event to paint with her friends but eventually branched out to some of the other activities on display.

“We tried freestyle skating and attempted to learn how to move with our back foot,” Mogler said. “Everyone was really helpful.”

Shay Langenhorst, a sophomore in advertising, also enjoyed trying various new activities at the event.

“It’s great for students to get involved and try out things that have clubs here on campus,” Langenhorst said. “You can see new things and give them a try without having to sign up and commit yourself to a club.”

Olivia Gralapp, a senior in chemistry, said she was able to step outside of her comfort zone during the event and tried several different activities.

“So many students just exist in their own bubble. You never know if you might find your new favorite thing,” Gralapp said.

Taoutel plans on hosting the event monthly and hopes to see more students bring a wider variety of activities to share with others.

“The event all depends on who shows up and what they bring,” Taoutel said. “It’s all about bringing out your hidden talents and sharing them with other students.”