African Students Association to host annual soccer tournament

Participants+gather+for+African+Students+Associations+soccer+tournament+in+2022.+
Courtesy of Cyntechy Boduo
Participants gather for African Students Association’s soccer tournament in 2022.

The African Students Association (ASA) will host a soccer tournament from 1–6 p.m. Nov 11-12 at Lied Recreation Athletic Center. Event coordinators encourage those planning to participate in the tournament to arrive at 12:30 p.m.

“It’s been a long-time tradition, but it was interrupted by COVID for two or three years, and now we are trying to revive it. So it’s been a long tradition for ASA, and we’ve done it for five or six years since 2019,” Abdullah Haran, the vice president of ASA and senior in computer engineering, said.

Prince Nnamdi Ajiri, a sophomore in software engineering and president of the ASA, said although there are no spaces left for additional players in the event, they allow anyone to come and attend the event in the stands and cheer on their favorite team with no admission cost.

Haran said ASA has tried to promote itself by hosting activities such as African Night at the Memorial Union.

“We just try to put our name out there to as many people as possible,” Haran said.

The event will have a trophy for the winning team as well as various prizes. ASA members said they encourage anyone interested in soccer to come to the event and support the organization.

“We have to involve every international student, and there’s history in that soccer is an international sport and we just want them to feel more connected to each other,” Aishat Daud, the ASA treasurer and junior studying management information systems, said.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500