Free upcoming ISU Theatre productions: Ten Minute Play Festival and “The Velveteen Rabbit”

The Velveteen Rabbit, inspired by the classic childrens book, has performances throughout Ames and surrounding areas through the beginning of December.
Courtesy of ISU Theatre
“The Velveteen Rabbit,” inspired by the classic children’s book, has performances throughout Ames and surrounding areas through the beginning of December.

It is that time of year again. Students from Iowa State’s THTRE 455 class are producing their annual Ten Minute Play Festival. The festival will be held at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Fisher Theater, with 14 plays set to be performed. 

This year’s play festival will feature work by both veteran and new writers. Because of this, the festival is an opportunity for theater students to showcase their talents, as they wrote many of the plays being performed in addition to directing them. The festival is free for everyone, so there is no excuse not to come out and see some theater this weekend. 

“Raw Steak” is a comedic 10-minute play written by Valentine Chenus, a senior in environmental science, that features a couple on an awful first date. 

“I’m so honored that my play will be performed. It’s really cool to have your work performed as a new playwright,” Chenus said.

Audience members should be aware that some plays may feature adult content or strong language. 

Theater fans can also find a new production of “The Velveteen Rabbit” as it tours Ames and surrounding towns. The production was adapted by Iowa State faculty members Amanda Petefish-Schrag and Ben Schrag. It features the use of puppets and original music by Schrag. 

Admission is free, and attendees will have a wide variety of performances to choose from. Here is a list of performances of “The Velveteen Rabbit”:

• Dec. 1 at 6:30 p.m. at Alluvial Brewing Co.
  • Dec. 2 at 10 a.m., and 1 p.m. at the Ames Public Library Children’s Dept.
  • Dec. 3 at 7 p.m. at the KHOI Radio station
  • Dec. 6 at 7 p.m. at the Nevada Public Library Children’s Dept.
  • Dec. 9th at 7 p.m. Reliable Street, INC.