Movie releases to look forward to this spring

Courtesy of IGN
Movie poster for “Dune: Part 2,” due to be released on March 1.

The spring season is often a struggle for many movie producers. Judging by how the first two months of 2024 went at the box office, this trend does not seem to be going away anytime soon, despite the surplus of movies currently being released that were delayed by the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes.

Thankfully, for both producers and moviegoers alike, it looks like there are 10 upcoming releases for the remainder of spring to be excited about.

“Dune: Part 2” – March 1

The first “Dune” movie was a massive critical and financial hit, grossing $402 million, and there is no reason to believe that the second movie won’t be able to achieve that same level of success. The sequel, aptly titled “Dune: Part 2,” picks up where the first movie left off, as Paul Atreides seeks revenge against the people who murdered his family and decimated his house. This time, Paul, played by Timothée Chalamet, is joined by Chani, played by Zendaya, and the Freman of Arrakis.

“Kung Fu Panda 4” – March 8

The last movie in the “Kung Fu Panda” franchise was released in 2016, making the fourth installment long overdue. The film will follow the same lovable cast of characters from the first several movies, as Po, voiced by Jack Black, must train a new warrior. However, his plans are quickly disrupted when a powerful sorceress sets her eyes on his Staff of Wisdom, and Po must team up with old and new friends to defeat her.

“Love Lies Bleeding” – March 15

“Love Lies Bleeding” is an A24 romantic thriller starring Kristen Stewart and Katy M. O’Brian set against the backdrop of 1980s Las Vegas. Lou, Stewart’s character, falls in love with Jackie, an ambitious bodybuilder. But when Jackie takes a job with Lou’s father, a man with a terrifying haircut and equally terrifying morals, violence ensues as the couple finds themselves in dire straits. 

“Monkey Man” – April 5

The “Monkey Man” promotional materials leave no room for interpretation, and maybe that’s a good thing since they describe the film as “John Wick set in Mumbai.” “Monkey Man” will star Dev Patel and will also serve as the actor’s directorial debut. The film will follow Patel’s character of Kid as he sets out to exact revenge on the men responsible for his mother’s death. The visuals in the trailer look lush and stunning, making “Monkey Man” deserving of a big-screen viewing.

“Civil War” – April 12

The second film by A24 on this list is also a thriller, albeit a different kind. “Civil War” takes place in a near-future dystopian United States, as the U.S. president has refused to resign and 19 states have seceded from the Union, causing the country to turn into a brutal dictatorship. The film was written and directed by Alex Garland, best known for his work with other dystopian thrillers, including “28 Days Later” and “Ex Machina.”

“Sasquatch Sunset” – April 12

With how oversaturated the movie industry is, it is difficult to find a movie that is unlike anything you’ve ever watched before. However, “Sasquatch Sunset” might just fit the bill. The surreal comedy will follow a family of sasquatches over the course of a year. The film stars many big names, including Riley Keough and Jesse Eisenberg, but you probably wouldn’t know it due to their full body makeup and the fact that they only speak in grunts throughout the entire movie. 

“Abigail” – April 19

The vampire movie genre is not new, but that does not stop filmmakers from inventing new stories to tell through it. At first glance at the trailer, “Abigail” looks like a typical thriller, with a gang of criminals kidnapping a wealthy man’s daughter. However, they quickly realize that they have bitten off more than they can chew when Abigail is revealed to be a vampire child. The film is directed by the same creative duo behind the 2019 horror-comedy “Ready or Not” and the 2022 sequel to “Scream.”

“Challengers” – April 26

Between her starring roles in “Dune: Part 2” and “Challengers,” 2024 might be turning into the year of Zendaya. “Challengers” tells the story of Tashi Duncan, a professional tennis player turned coach, who has managed to turn her husband from a mediocre player into a Grand Slam champion. But when he finds himself in the middle of a losing streak, Duncan has him play a challenger event against Patrick, his former best friend and Duncan’s ex-boyfriend.

“The Fall Guy” – May 3

“The Fall Guy” follows stuntman Colt Seavers as he returns to the business after the disappearance of a big movie star. From Ryan Gosling starring as the main character to other A-listers such as Emily Blunt and Aaron Taylor-Johnson in supporting roles, “The Fall Guy” sounds like it has all the makings of a wonderful early summer action flick.

“Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes” – May 10

The fourth installment of the “Planet of the Apes” reboot franchise will not feature the character of Caeser, which clears the path for a brand new cast of characters. The film, which is set 300 years after the events depicted in “War for the Planet of the Apes,” follows a chimpanzee named Noa as he goes on a journey with a human named Nova to determine the fate of both apes and humans on Earth.