One inactive fraternity member sentenced, another sees case dismissed in alleged FarmHouse armed sex extortion

Photo: Brian Achenbach/Iowa State Daily

Two of the three cases against inactive FarmHouse members Grant Kuehnast, Tyler Ekstrom and Colton Moore reached a conclusion this week, following allegations of armed sex extortion at the FarmHouse fraternity against another resident in January.

All three were originally charged with assault, second degree harassment and extortion charges but some charges were changed as their individual cases progressed through the legal system. 

After the charges were announced in May, the Iowa State FarmHouse Fraternity Chapter placed all three on inactive status and removed them from residing in the house, according to a post on the FarmHouse Facebook page.

What was originally alleged?

According to previous reporting by the Daily, on Jan. 31 in the FarmHouse Fraternity at 311 Ash Ave., Kuehnast allegedly threatened to shoot another resident of the fraternity if he did not commit a specific sex act on Moore. Ekstrom was allegedly standing near the door.

The victim said Kuehnast was slowly counting down from five telling the victim if he did not follow his commands he would shoot the victim in the face and groin with an airsoft gun, according to court documents. When the countdown finished, Kuehnast allegedly began firing the gun. The documents do not state if the victim was hit.

State of Iowa vs. Kuehnast

Following a plea agreement, Kuehnast was sentenced Wednesday to two years probation and an $855 fine for his role. He must also complete a mental health evaluation within 60 days of the sentencing.  

Kuehnast pled guilty to first degree harassment, which he was not originally charged with. 

State of Iowa vs. Ekstrom

The former FarmHouse fraternity vice president and risk manager had the charges against him dismissed Friday after the State filed for dismissal Thursday.

No comments were written in the court records as to why the case was dismissed and court documents were not immediately accessible to the Daily. Ekstrom was previously slated to face trial in February. 

State of Iowa vs. Moore

According to court records, Moore’s case is still pending trial and a witness list notice was filed on Thursday. Moore has pled not guilty to the three charges, including two class D felonies.

The pretrial conference is scheduled for Dec. 19 and the trial is set to begin Jan. 9.