Freshmen Jackson, Brown impress in first Big 12 game in front of family and friends

Tyler Coe
Arianna Jackson runs the Iowa State offense against North Dakota State at Hilton Coliseum on Dec. 10, 2023.

In the first conference game of the season, the Iowa State women’s basketball team defeated Oklahoma State 76-68. Once again the freshmen players impressed in a close game to begin the Big 12 portion of the season with a win.

Two of those freshmen, Arianna Jackson and Addy Brown, had a big day against the Cowgirls. Jackson had her biggest game on the offensive side of the ball and Brown continued her dominance with another 20-point performance.

The two had a bit more motivation in the game with family members present. Jackson’s family made the last-minute decision to travel to Stillwater, Oklahoma, from Memphis following Iowa State’s bowl game at the Liberty Bowl.

“It was nice to have them there, especially for my first conference game on the road,” Jackson said.

The decision ended up being a good one, as Jackson scored a season-high 14 points shooting 5-for-6 from the field and 4-for-5 from three. She hit two threes in the fourth quarter to keep the Cyclones ahead and hang on for the win.

“All the work that they’ve put in just to help me get to the point where I am today really just means a lot,” Jackson said. “Being able to go show it on the court is always a great opportunity.”

Iowa State head coach Bill Fennelly spoke highly of Jackson and her family. He said that Jackson embraces what it means to be a Cyclone since she grew up in a household full of Iowa State fans and players.

“She’s one of the best people from one of the best families I’ve ever been around,” Fennelly said. “This is why I do what I do. To be around people like that every single day. People that really impact the success of others and celebrate the success of others.”

Jackson has been credited with being one of the best defenders for Iowa State. Her defense against Oklahoma State helped Iowa State win, but her scoring ability took center stage.

Brown said Jackson was “big time” late in the game and the shots she made late were crucial to the Cyclones’ victory.

“She was big time, especially down the stretch when we needed her most,” Brown said.

Brown’s family and friends made the trip from her home state of Kansas to support her in her first conference game. The support led Brown to her second game scoring 20 or more points and she led the Cyclones in rebounds with nine.

“I think I had like 60 [people] just from high school teammates and family members alone, and then I had about 15 of my family members come, so it was definitely a good crowd and a game I’ll never forget,” Brown said.