Book Review: “No Longer Human” by Osamu Dazai

Photo+from+Osamu+Dazais+Facebook+account.+
Photo from Osamu Dazai’s Facebook account.

Content Warning: This book review contains discussions of suicide and sexual violence.

“I would be forever branded on the forehead with the word ‘madman,’ or perhaps, ‘reject.’ Disqualified as a human being. I had now ceased utterly to be a human being.” – Osamu Dazai

The book “No Longer Human” by Osamu Dazai is turbulent, to say the least. It is, however, compelling and fascinating as it dives into the world of a young “reject” from a wealthy family in post-war Japan. This novel is a more modern version of Fyodor Dostoevsky’s famous novels, most notably “Notes from Underground” and “Crime and Punishment.” If you have read and enjoyed these novels, I have little doubt that you would also enjoy Dazai’s masterpiece. 

However, it is also less dense, enhancing its readability. This does not mean that it does not achieve depth. In more ways than one, the reader comes away with too much to think about. It is also a semi-autobiographical novel, which makes it all the more haunting. 

As a child, the main character, Yozo, finds solace in the fact that he can conceal his true nature from others. His “clowning” became the core of his existence, and for Yozo, nothing is more dreadful than when people see through it.

Yozo’s alienation throughout the novel only intensifies as he falls into relationships with various people and finds that he is left more hopeless than before he met them. He becomes immersed in the underbelly of Japanese society, indulging in alcohol, prostitutes and revolutionary aspirations. Yozo is not gullible, though, as he understands it is all absurd and self-destructive. For example, his most notable friend, Horiki, was “fit only for amusement.” Yozo goes on to say that he “even felt ashamed of our friendship.” 

This feeling is consistent with many of the romantic relationships that Yozo becomes involved in. He soaks himself in alcohol (later on morphine) and finds no problem with leaving his partners. This takes the form of failed suicide attempts and the “othering” of his wife shortly after she was raped. 

Yozo never claims to be a good guy. And perhaps this adds credibility to the book. It is raw. There is no concern for his image, and, in turn, it allows the book to flourish. 

At any rate, I highly recommend this book. It is the definition of a page-turner, and you will not regret reading it. 

Rating: 9/10