Good Cop/Bad Cop: No. 5 Texas

Elizabeth Lane
The Iowa State team celebrates after upsetting Oklahoma in the semi-finals of the Big 12 Tournament at T-Mobile Center, March 11, 2024.

Good Cop: Logan Shanks

At this rate, you have to think that everything is going the Cyclones’ way heading into this matchup with Texas. Iowa State is coming off of an offensive showcase against top-seeded Oklahoma and has the fans’ support in Hilton South to get the job done again.

What should be reassuring is how close Kansas State played the Longhorns in their semifinal matchup, which saw the Wildcats nearly pull away in the final minutes. Texas is a vulnerable team, despite the strong season in conference play, and Iowa State could do what it did to Oklahoma and force the Longhorns into playing their worst game.

Iowa State came out on top in both its matchups with Kansas State, and although the Cyclones lost by 21 on the road against Texas, they have the momentum to get revenge on the Longhorns the same way they did against Oklahoma.

Anything can happen in March, as Iowa State has rolled with the momentum the team ended the regular season with and has put together a pair of solid games in the postseason.

The Cyclones cannot afford to have any missteps, if they allow Texas to go on a sizeable run in this matchup it’s going to get ugly. But I think Iowa State is in the middle of a historic run and the Longhorns are next up on its list of teams to go through to win its first back-to-back conference titles in over 20 years.

Iowa State 76, No. 5 Texas 70

Bad Cop: Christian Royston

Do you believe in miracles? I do not.

Lightning does not strike twice. Simple as that.

The Cyclones used up their magic last season by completing the sweep of upset wins to take home a Big 12 title, and I do not see that being the case two years in a row. Now, I know they are coming off a huge win over Oklahoma, which proved many haters, even myself, wrong about how good this team can be, but Texas is Texas.

I did say that about Oklahoma, but Texas is a better team than Oklahoma. Along with that, the Longhorns match up better against Iowa State than really any other team in the conference. They are big, they can shoot from anywhere on the court and Madison Booker is her.

Booker was lighting up Kansas State at times and proved why she is the co-player of the year of the Big 12. The fact that Texas did not let up a comeback should be concerning for Iowa State, especially with how well Kansas State fans traveled. It really felt like a home game for the Wildcats, which further proves how Texas can thrive in any environment.

I wish I could side with the Cyclones, but I see Texas running away with the win and picking up a last piece of hardware from the Big 12 before moving to the SEC.

No. 5 Texas 84, Iowa State 76