Cyclones drop 12th straight despite improvement

Jacob Rice
Freshman Gala Arangio retrieves a tennis ball after a singles match against Missouri State, Lifetime Fitness, Urbandale, Iowa, Jan. 20, 2024.

Iowa State took on No. 52 TCU and lost 6-1 in Fort Worth, Texas, for the Cyclones’ 12th loss in a row.

The Cyclones were looking for their fourth straight victory against the Horned Frogs, a matchup that TCU leads historically.

Nothing was working for the Cyclones in doubles once again, and they entered singles play with nothing on the board. Isabella Dunlap and Anna Supapitch Kuearum managed to pick up one game but ultimately lost their match 6-1.

Gala Arangio and Valeska San Martin Ramirez stayed in their match for the start. However, it got away from them, and they lost 6-3. Ashlee Narker and Juliette Nask were leading 5-3 when their match went unfinished.

Singles went similarly for most of the Cyclones, with Kuearum being the lone winner. Kuearum won her match in straight sets with a score of 6-4, 6-4.

Dunlap, Nask and San Martin Ramirez all lost in straight sets. Dunlap lost 6-2, 7-6 (7-3), Nask lost 6-1, 7-5, and San Martin Ramirez lost 6-2, 6-2. Narker took No. 121 Destinee Martins to three sets, losing 7-5, 5-7, 6-2. Arangio lost the match 6-2, 7-6 (7-4).

Kuearum gets back on track

After dropping her last two matches, Kuearum needed a win to show why she plays in the first singles spot. In a strong Big 12 Conference, not many wins are given to you, they are earned. Kuearum earned a win Sunday, taking down Jade Otway in two close sets.

The two went back and forth in both sets, but Kuearum pulled away both times and won the match 6-4, 6-4.

Doubles can’t get a win

Iowa State lost the doubles point Sunday after losing 6-1 in the first doubles spot and 6-3 in the third doubles spot. The Cyclones have not won a doubles point since Jan. 28 against Old Dominion, which makes it nine matches in a row where they have lost the doubles point.

When four points are all that are needed to win a match, earning that advantage in doubles to get an early lead is great for momentum and fueling players’ confidence, especially on a young team like Iowa State.

Strong showing from Narker against a ranked opponent

Narker took on No. 121 Martins for a second nationally-ranked opponent of the year and a second match in the second singles spot. Despite having lost the past two matches, Narker battled until the end against Martins.

Narker took it all the way to three sets and ended up losing 7-5, 5-7, 6-2. It was an impressive showing from Narker after being put in a new role less than three days before the match.

Iowa State is back home at 4 p.m. Thursday to take on No. 20 Oklahoma with a chance to end a 12-match losing streak.