Charlotte’s Dishon Jackson commits to Iowa State

T.J.+Otzelberger+watches+his+players+during+the+second-round+game+against+Washington+State+in+the+NCAA+Tournament%2C+March+23%2C+2024+at+CHI+Health+Center+Arena+in+Omaha.+
Jacob Rice
T.J. Otzelberger watches his players during the second-round game against Washington State in the NCAA Tournament, March 23, 2024 at CHI Health Center Arena in Omaha.

Iowa State earned its first commit of the transfer season in true-center Dishon Jackson from Charlotte on Monday.

The 6-foot-11, 260-pound center is coming off his first season with the 49ers, where he averaged 11.4 points, six rebounds and one block per game. Throughout the season, Jackson demonstrated physicality and aggressiveness in the paint, while also sporting lockdown defense that could fit Iowa State’s team well.

Along with his size and scoring ability inside, Jackson also adds great handles to his package and has a clean stroke that makes him a threat from midrange. He consistently demonstrated his ability to move like a guard and put his floater and pull-up jumper on display.

The redshirt sophomore started his collegiate career playing two seasons at Washington State, where he averaged over six points per game and hauled in over four rebounds per game. He did not start a majority of his games with the Cougars.

Jackson battled injury in the 2021-22 season at Washington State, which also kept him out of the entire 2022-23 season. Those medical issues looked to go away when he transferred to Charlotte.

At Charlotte, Jackson started every game in the 2023-24 season and played over 26 minutes per game.

Jackson enters the program at a crucial time, as the Cyclones are set to lose all three of their big men in Tre King, Robert Jones and Hason Ward.

With JT Rock set to be Iowa State’s only returning center, Jackson will add much-needed size to the room. The Rock and Jackson duo means that Iowa State’s group of big men will average seven feet in size.