Cyclone gymnastics faces Clemson at Gainesville Regional qualifier

Tyler Coe
The Iowa State gymnastics team huddles during the season opening meet against Nebraska at Hilton Coliseum on Jan. 5, 2023.

The No. 36 Cyclones will face off with the No. 30 Clemson Tigers on Thursday. The meet stands as a play-in opportunity, with the winner advancing to a quad-meet where they will face No. 4 Florida, No. 13 Missouri and No. 20 Georgia.

The Cyclones return to the NCAA postseason after missing it a year ago. This all comes under the fresh leadership of first-year head coach Ashley Miles Greig. This will be the Cyclone gymnastics team’s 15th postseason in 17 seasons.

The team also boasts three individual qualifiers with Noelle Adams in the vault, beam and floor, Josie Bergstrom in vault and beam and Kaia Parker in the floor exercise.

This all comes after the Cyclones’ fourth-place finish at the Big 12 Championship in Norman, Oklahoma. Despite their placement, their 196.350-point performance was enough to slot them in at the No. 36 spot, the final spot that qualifies for the gymnastics postseason.

The Cyclones finished the regular season with a record of 9-15 and a 6-5 record at neutral sights. They currently average 196.096 points per meet.

The Tigers finished the regular season with a 6-2 record. The team managed a second place finish at the ACC Championship, where they scored 196.425 points. Their season average is 196.509 points per meet.

The Cyclones must win in order to continue the success of their gymnastics season and advance in the postseason. The meet will begin at 1 p.m. Thursday and will be streamed on ESPN+.