Cyclones set to host Kansas, aim to build off recent success

Elizabeth Lane
The Iowa State softball team during the Iowa State vs. UNI softball game at Cyclones Sports Complex, April 2, 2024.

Iowa State will host Kansas for a three-game series starting Friday, looking to extend its win streak.

The Cyclones moved to 13-18 overall after defeating Northern Iowa on Tuesday, 8-3, and improved to 3-1 at home.

Several players from Iowa State had multiple hits including Milaysia Ochoa and Alesia Ranches. Third baseman Ashley Minor also added a game-high two RBIs for the Cyclones.

Freshman pitcher Aziza Rodriguez had a dominant day in the circle, finishing with five strikeouts and four hits from UNI.

The Jayhawks have an overall record of 22-12-1 and in the Big 12 Conference hold a record of 7-5.

Heading into Ames, the Jayhawks have lost their last four games against No. 1 Oklahoma and Nebraska.

When the Cyclones traveled to Lawrence, Kansas, last season they won the three-game series 2-1.

Prior to UNI, Iowa State is coming off of a three-game series on the road against No. 23 Baylor, where the team went 1-2.

The Iowa State Athletic Department is holding notable events and giveaways for each of the games. Friday they are giving out Iowa State bucket hats, Saturday is National Student-Athlete Day and Sunday they will be handing out Pink Crumbl Cookies.

Iowa State’s three-game series against Kansas will start with game one at 4 p.m. Friday and will continue with game two at 1 p.m. Saturday and conclude with game three at noon Sunday. All games can be streamed on ESPN+.