Multiple Cyclones head home with titles on third day of Drake Relays

Elizabeth Lane
Devan Kipyego jumps into Peter Smith’s arms after winning the 4x800m relay during the Drake Relays on April 26, 2024.

The Cyclones continued to impress during the third day of the Drake Relays, alongside a handful of athletes who traveled to Palo Alto, California, to compete in the Payton Jordan Invitational.

After Dana Feyen’s big win in the 10,000-meter run Thursday, the Cyclones continue to impress during Friday’s field events and long-distance runs in Des Moines, Iowa.

The Cyclones started on a high note during the women’s 1,600-meter relay. With a time of 19:06.26, Maelle Porcher, Bella Heikes, Ashlyn Keeney and Janette Schraft banded together and secured second place. Their time is now the second fastest in Iowa State school history.

Continuing the success streak were Devan Kipyego, Emanuel Galdino, Tyler Carreon and Peter Smith who competed as a synergetic unit placing first overall in the men’s 800-meter relay with a time of 7:22.53. That time by the speedy tandem ranks ninth in Iowa State history and earned the fourteenth Iowa State event title.

Cam Jones continued his impressive outdoor track and field season and placed first overall in the men’s shot put with a throw of 19.75 meters. Jones now holds the third Iowa State men’s title in the event.

In the men’s 110-meter hurdles, freshman Jack Latham placed first in his heat with a time of 13.85 seconds.

Later in the day, Braden Goellner placed third overall in the men’s high jump with a leap of 2.11 meters.

Ending the Drake Relays, Kevin Sakson placed second overall in the men’s discus with a throw of 59.64 meters.

During the Payton Jordan Invitational, Ezekiel Rop placed second overall in the men’s 1500-meter run, at 3:39.39. In the men’s 5000-meter run, Silas Winders placed fourth with a time of 13:48.04.

The Cyclones will conclude the Drake Relays on Saturday, along with a couple of Cyclones traveling to Tucson, Arizona for the Desert Heat Classic.