Queer and trans students of color party held this Wednesday

Iowa State students, faculty and community members meet Aug. 21, 2018, in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union to show off their pride during the LGBTQIA+ Welcome.

Logan Metzger

The Live Your Truth: Queer and Trans Students of Color Party will be held Wednesday in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union from 5 to 7 p.m.

“Live Your Truth is an affinity space specifically for people who self identify as queer or trans people of color, meaning students, faculty or staff,” said Clare Lemke, assistant director at the Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success, describing the event.

Lemke went on to describe an affinity space as, “A space for a specific group of people who come together over shared identities, in this case queer and trans people of color.”

Activities at the event include karaoke, music, icebreakers, speed mingling and coloring. There will also be snacks provided.

Co-hosted by the Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, this event provides a place for students that fall under both offices to get to know each other.

“Being able to see more forms of collaborations between offices will help students understand that they might not have a single space that they’re designated to, but that they are part of the campus,” said Torrell Foree, program coordinator for the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs.

This event has been in the works since last spring with both offices working with a group of volunteers to plan it.