The Fashion Show 2018 category and scholarship winners

Jackie Norman/Iowa State Daily

Student models wearing Katrina Pedrick’s design “On the Fringe” come out to congratulate her for winning the “Lora and Russ Talbot ISU Fashion Show Best in Show Scholarship.” The Fashion Show celebrates 36 years this year at Stephen’s Auditorium on April 14.

Halee Olson

The 36th annual Iowa State Fashion Show, held on April 14 in Stephens Auditorium, allowed 75 apparel merchandising and design (AMD) students to showcase garments they created. 

Many of those 75 students were presented with scholarships and awards at the end of the show.

Scholarship winners

The Ana Hays McCracken Fashion Show Producer Scholarship was awarded to Josie Brownmiller, a senior in AMD; Emily Clark, a senior in AMD; Jessica Helberg, a senior in AMD and Sarah Waigand, a senior in AMD.

The Todd Snyder Scholarship was awarded to Blaze Best, a senior in industrial design.

The Behind The Scenes “Trendsetter” scholarship was awarded to high school student Andrea Capplonch.

The Textile and Clothing Museum Scholarship was awarded to Courtney Nikkel, a senior in AMD.

The Lora and Russ Talbot Iowa State Fashion Show Merchandising scholarship was awarded to Sarah Wright, a junior in AMD. 

The Lora and Russ Talbot Iowa State Fashion Show Best In Show scholarship was awarded to Katrina Pedrick, a senior in AMD, for her garments in the fashion show that were entitled On The Fringe.

Best in show is the highest honor to be received at the fashion show. 

“Winning best in show has been my goal since high school,” Pedrick said.

She also noted that winning best in show and being someone people can look up to is “amazing.”

Pedrick said that the inspiration for On The Fringe stems from a trip to Greece she went on last April, but production of the garments began in the fall of 2018. 

Category awards 

Each category of the fashion show gives out first, second and third place awards that are selected by the fashion show judges.

First place winners are awarded with $500, second place with $300 and third place with $200. The winner of best in show is awarded $1,000.

In the accessories category, first place went to Jessica Helberg, a senior in AMD, for “Shaftesbury Avenue.”

In the fashion illustration category, first place went to Rylie Smith, a sophomore in AMD, for “Meet Me On The Slopes”; second place went to Katrina Pedrick, a senior in AMD, for “Zimmerman” and third place went to Lauren Latham, a sophomore in AMD, for “Olympia.”

In the portfolio category, first place went to Emily Clark, a senior in AMD, for “Survivor”; second place went to Lydia Loya, a senior in AMD, for “Digital Portfolio” and third place went to Abigail Goeser, a junior in AMD, for “Function + Femme Lookbook.”

In the art to wear category, first place went to Katrina Pedrick, a senior in AMD, for “On The Fringe”; second place went to Shae Smith, a senior in AMD, for “Rogue” and third place went to Emily Clark, a senior in AMD, for “Survivor.”

In the sportswear category, first place went to Tara Efobi, a senior in AMD, for “Hjemme”; second place went to Tara Efobi, a senior in AMD, for “Homesick” and third place went to Abigail Goeser, a senior in AMD, for “Archive.”

In the graduate category, first place went to Archana Edmond, a graduate in apparel, events and hospitality management, for “Yoddha” and second place went to Samantha Creeger, a graduate in industrial design, for “Spektre/Halophyte.”

In the digital printing category, first place went to Emily Clark, a senior in AMD, for “Contaminated Imagery”; second place went to Tara Efobi, a senior in AMD, for “For Ren” and third place also went to Emily Clark, a senior in AMD, for “Survivor” and “The Light Unseen.”

In the wearable technology category, first place went to James Lieven, a senior in architecture, for “Black Pauldron.”

In the sleep/loungewear category, first place went to Tara Efobi, a senior in AMD, for “For Ren.”

In the active wear category, first place went to Sarah Waigan, a senior in AMD, for “Stride” and second place went to Rose Echard, a junior in AMD, for “The Landry.”

In the suiting/business wear category, first place went to Lydia Loya, a senior in AMD, for “Modern Heritage.”

In the children’s wear category, first place went to Emily Clark, a senior in AMD, for “The Light Unseen” and second place went to Yu Ching Lin, a senior in AMD, for “Mola.”

In the day dresses category, first place went to Carlie Howard, a senior in AMD, for “Story”; second place went to Caye Schnackel, a senior in AMD, for “Sweet Stems” and third place went to Thuan Luong, a senior in AMD, for “Here’s The 411.”

In the formal wear category, first place went to Emily Clark, a senior in AMD, for “Contaminated Imagery”; second place went to Carlie Howard, a senior in AMD, for “Altered Elegance” and third place went to Katrina Pedrick, a senior in AMD, for “Prom Dress.” 

Editor’s note: The Daily has corrected the spelling of Lora Talbot’s name. Previously, it was spelled “Laura Talbot.” The Daily regrets the error.