Annual CyServe Day to take place all day Saturday

Richard Martinez / Iowa State Daily

Students register for volunteer opportunities on campus as part of CyServe Day at Iowa State. Volunteers had the chance to assist in cleaning academic buildings such as Carver Hall and the Gerdin Business Building. 

Caroline Claxton

Spend a Saturday giving back to your community: Iowa State’s annual CyServe Day is Saturday from 9 a.m to 3 p.m. 

Volunteering takes place both on and off campus with transportation provided to most sites off campus. Check in takes place in the Carver Hall lobby 20 minutes before shifts. 

“CyServe’s goal has remained the same since its inception: to mobilize hundreds of student volunteers to spend a day in the service of local organizations,” said John Lavey, CyServe’s co-president.

CyServe partnered with eight organizations this year to provide students and clubs with the oppourtunity to give back to the community. Below is a list of each organization and a little about what they do. 

• Project Linus: making fleece tie blankets to donate to children in hospitals. On average, every month Project Linus donates 350 blankets to local children. With locations in all 50 states their empire is growing and bringing comfort to children all over the country. 

• Days for Girls International: assembling kits of washable, reusable feminine hygiene products for women in countries lacking access to menstrual care. 

• Overflow Thrift Store: Overflow is a nonprofit secondhand store. Volunteers will be tasked with helping clean and organize the warehouse.

• Ames Historical Society: volunteers assist with archival collection inventory. 

• Story County Conservation: planting trees at ISU Research Park.

• Youth Standing Strong: YSS provides programs catering to every stage of life to try and accommodate every family’s struggles and needs. Volunteers will be helping maintenance staff outside and around the shelter.

• Stash the Trash: collecting litter across all of Ames; CyServe Day volunteers will work only on campus. 

• Reiman Gardens: participating in a horticulture project.

CyServe Day was originally a part of VEISHEA and in 2014 became its own stand-alone event. 

“CyServe Council’s goal as an organization is to facilitate service projects that are accessible and inviting for student volunteers and that greatly benefit organizations in the Ames community,” Lavey said. 

CyServe has over 200 volunteers registered for Saturday but there are still slots open to volunteer! Click here to find out how to grab a spot for the day.