Three Iowa State men’s basketball players earn Big 12 honors

Freshman guard Lindell Wigginton waits for teammates to get open during Iowa State’s senior night game against Oklahoma State on Feb. 27 in Hilton Coliseum. The Cowboys defeated the Cyclones 80-71.

Brian Mozey

The Big 12 Conference released its annual men’s basketball awards on Sunday morning and Iowa State was represented by three of its players, including two freshmen. 

Those three players included senior guard Donovan Jackson and freshmen guard Lindell Wigginton and forward Cameron Lard. 

Wigginton earned a spot on the Big 12 All-Newcomer Team as well as an All-Big 12 Honorable Mention. The guard from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, has received numerous Big 12 Newcomer of the Week’s throughout the season with his record-setting freshman year. 

He scored a freshman record of 12 20-point games and is averaging 16.6 points per game. That average is leading the Cyclones’ roster. Wigginton also scored an Iowa State freshman record with 67 3-pointers made this season. 

Lard was named to the All-Big 12 Honorable Mention list with his dominant freshman season. The Natchitoches, Louisiana, native just combined with Wigginton this past game against Oklahoma to break the most points scored by a freshmen duo in Iowa State history. 

He averaged 12.5 points per game along with 8.2 rebounds and 2.1 blocks. Those blocks led to an Iowa State freshman record as he totaled 60 blocks this season. 

Lard had eight double-doubles this season and has proved himself time and time again in the paint this season. 

The last player for Iowa State was Jackson, who earned All-Big 12 Honorable Mention as well. Jackson came back this season as one of the leaders for the Iowa State team with so many players being new to the cardinal and gold uniform. 

Jackson made sure to lead by example by recording 15.3 points per game this season and 137 3-pointers made in his two seasons at Iowa State.

This season, Jackson shot 93 3-pointers, which is fifth most in a single-season in Iowa State history. His average points is second behind Wigginton this season. 

Iowa State’s season isn’t finished yet as the Cyclones head to Kansas City, Missouri, for the Big 12 Tournament at the Sprint Center. Iowa State will take on Texas in the first round of the tournament on Wednesday, March 7 at 8 p.m.