Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers opens close to campus

One menu item at Freddy’s, which held its grand opening Thursday, is chili cheese fries.

Dawit Tilahun

Ames is a habitat for food of all kinds. Closer to campus, a new restaurant has joined that environment, Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers.

Freddy’s is a restaurant that serves handmade, fresh steakburgers, served hot. Their menu consists of steakburgers, frozen custard, hot dogs, fries, chili, and more.

With a red and white interior décor, Freddy’s opened its doors Thursday displaying its close look and feel to that of a classic American Diner.

Opening day featured lines of students, the smell of steakburgers, and the sound of laughter and conversation.

“Freddy’s success is built on three pillars: quality, cleanliness, and hospitality,” said franchise Director of Operations, Steven Young.

These pillars of success originate from the founder, Freddy Simon. The franchise works to operate the way Simon had, serving his friends and family with these three pillars in mind.

“We want everyone to feel really welcome with us, and to build relationships with people,” said Katie Young, Director of Shared Services and Training.

Steven Young explained how the freshness of the food and the hospitality of the workers is what makes Freddy’s special. The Young family would balance their time between operating the restaurant and meeting new customers.

“If you think of a stool with three legs, if one of those legs goes missing, the stool will not stand,” said Steven Young.

The Ames Freddy’s is one of four Freddy’s owned in Iowa by the Young family. Challenged with no drive-way ordering, this Ames location has traded in the need for a car for a close to campus location. In fact, the Ames Freddy’s is the closest Freddy’s to a college campus.

“This opening was one of the most successful openings,” said Katie Young.

Later this year the Young family is looking at opening a fifth location in Dubuque, Iowa.

“We look forward to what the weekend has to bring,” said Steven Young.

Located at 2420 Lincoln Way Suite 102, Ames, IA 50014, Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers is open from 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday. 

“When I first got here; it was crowded, which I immediately took as a good sign,” said Christian Bannantine, junior in political science and economics. “I wanted to try this place out, ever since I first heard it was opening.”

“I liked the atmosphere, the food was great, and it seemed like a really nice place to come and hang. You can eat, but you can also study and meet people. It feels like a classic American Diner,” said Bannantine.