A look back at the events leading up to the 2016 presidential election

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton speaks to supporters during her rally at Lincoln High School in Des Moines Aug. 10. The event was her first time back in Iowa since winning the caucus last February. 

Danielle Gehr

One year ago today, Donald Trump was elected the 45th president of the United States.

With an FBI investigation and sexual assault allegations, the 2016 presidential race proved eventful. The Daily compiled significant national and local events during the course of the 2016 election.

Hillary Clinton announces her candidacy — April 12, 2015

Clinton announced her campaign through a YouTube video, depicting a diverse group of Americans “getting ready” for different things.

The first woman shown is getting ready to plant her tomatoes. Another is preparing to move so her daughter can attend a better school. A man says in Spanish that he and his brother are starting their own business.

After a few more people speak, suddenly Hillary Clinton appears on screen and says she is getting ready for something too — running for president.

“Americans have fought their way back from tough economic times, but the deck is still stacked in favor of those at the top,” Clinton said in her announcement video. “Everyday Americans need a champion and I want to be that champion.”

The New York Times reported the announcement came just minutes after emails from John D. Podesta, Mrs. Clinton’s campaign chairman, alerted donors and longtime Clinton associates to her candidacy.

Once caucus season hit, Clinton’s main competitor for the Democratic nomination was Sen. Bernie Sanders after former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley dropped out of the race.

Donald Trump announces his candidacy — June 16, 2015

Donald Trump stood before a crowd at Trump Tower in New York in June of 2015, with “Make America Great Again” written across the front of his podium, and announced his bid for presidency.

The real-estate mogul and former-reality-television star spoke of current politicians being controlled by lobbyists and how it is destroying America.

“Our country needs a truly great leader, and we need a truly great leader now,” Trump said during his candidacy announcement. “We need a leader that can bring back our jobs, can bring back our manufacturing, can bring back our military.”

He also called former-President Barack Obama a negative force, after saying he initially thought Obama would be a good cheerleader for the U.S.

Trump was the 12th Republican to announce his bid, but the race came down to four main candidates — Sen. Marco Rubio, Sen. Ted Cruz, Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Trump.

Trump visits Jack Trice, protestors dispute — September 13, 2015

During Trump’s visit to the CyHawk football game in 2015, a woman ripped a protester’s sign out of his hands after saying a racial slur.

Protestors stood outside of Jack Trice. Jovani Rubio was protesting against Trump’s comments on undocumented immigrants and was holding a sign that said “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.” He said he and his siblings were born in the U.S. while their mother was undocumented.

A woman wearing an Iowa State shirt walked up to Rubio and said something about voting for white supremacy before ripping the poster in half. Other attendees were heard cheering after the poster was ripped.

Rubio told the Daily after the incident, he didn’t retaliate after the poster ripping.

“I knew if I were to react the way she wanted me to, I would only prove them right,” Rubio said. “If she rips it in half, I’m going to put it back together and put it up.”

Caucus season leads to historic win — Nov. 7, 2015

The Iowa Caucus resulted in victories for Clinton and Cruz, but by the end of the caucus season, Clinton and Trump had secured the Democratic and Republican nominations.

This marks the first time a woman was nominated by a major party. The race between Clinton and Sanders was tight with Clinton finishing with 699.57 state delegate equivalents and Sanders finishing with 695.49 state delegate equivalents.

ISU Students 4 Trump forms — April 2016

Headed by three Iowa State students, an ISU chapter of Student for Trump formed.

“We had to network and find people that had the same causes as us just on campus,” Austin Giles told the Daily in 2016, adding the group had seen lots of interest, especially on social media where @ISU4Trump boasted close to 800 followers after its launch.

“I think people are disappointed with both parties at this point, and I think anybody who is anti-establishment and looks at the status of the two parties … I feel like people will start in a new direction and we’ll meet that need,” Giles said.

After the election, Giles said the group disbanded. The last post on their Twitter, which says “make Ames great again” in the bio, was on March 22.

A Students for Bernie group also appeared on campus eventually turning into Students for Democratic-Socialism.

Hillary investigation into emails and Trump sexual assault allegations — October 2016

In the weeks leading up to the election, controversy fell on both presidential candidates.

On Oct. 28, 12 days before the election, the former-FBI Director James Comey said the FBI is looking into more emails connected to the Clinton email case. On Nov. 6, the FBI announced they maintained their stance that Clinton should not face criminal charges.

Clinton was speaking in Des Moines shortly after the FBI reopened the case.

“The American people deserve to get the full and complete facts immediately,” Clinton said in Des Moines.

CNN created a timeline of Clinton’s email scandal.

Trump faced his own scandal. By Oct. 20, 10 women had accused Trump of inappropriate touching, according to the New York Times.

The 10th woman, Karena Virginia, claimed Trump touched her right inside of her breast and, after she flinched, he said, “Don’t you know who I am?”

The accusations followed the release of a tape where Trump boasted about such behaviors. Trump denies all sexual allegations, calling them fake news.

Election results in Trump victory — Nov. 8, 2016

After earning 270 electoral votes, Trump was elected president at about 1:30 a.m. Central Time.

The first round of results began with a lead of 19 to 3 electoral votes in favor of the Republican candidate. As the night went on, Trump won battleground states such as Florida, Ohio and North Carolina, which carry 29, 18 and 15 electoral votes respectively.

“It was a lot closer than we thought, we knew the race was tightening up. Then again it shows how divided our nation is and shows why it was so close,” Dianne Bystrom, director of the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics, told the Daily after the election.

On election night, an Iowa State freshman at the time reported being called a racial slur.

Krishaun Burns was walking with her friends to get food on election night and stopped to talk after they ran into another friend.

“Next thing you know, people were yelling [from their windows],” Burns told the Daily shortly after the incident. “… And this came from both Willow and Larch, people were yelling, ‘Donald Trump, make America great again!’ and then someone said, ‘f— you n—–s!’” Burns said.