Toledo: Why we need gen-eds

170036830

170036830

Claudia Toledo

One of the most exciting aspects of the transition from mundane and required high school courses to the freedom of college, is taking only the classes we want…or so we thought. For me, learning that my years of mathematics, a subject I’m not fond of to say the least, weren’t coming to a close upon arriving at Iowa State was aggravating. So we’ve broken out of “unneeded” courses only to be thrown right back in. Why the need for general education classes?

Obtaining a four-year bachelor’s degree can be categorized into two sections, two years of general education followed by two years directly geared towards the major of choice.

Typically, these classes fall into the categories of history, humanities, math, social behaviors and so on. A chemical engineer might struggle to find any purpose in a history course, just as a psychology major may not feel a second language will benefit them.

One reason these classes are essential to the initial years of higher education, is the fact that the average college student will change their major at least three times over the course of their college career. During these times of growth, both personally and academically, pushing students to broaden their knowledge on as many aspects of the world as possible will aid them greatly in their ever-changing paths.

Another important reason behind the generalized courses is the power of innovative thinking in a desired workforce, something that can mainly be acquired through thinking outsides of one’s comfort zone. Such courses are integrated with many essential goals in mind: supplying critical thinking skills, bettering the community around us and comprehending the essentiality of a creative force behind any project serve the larger message many universities are pushing towards us.

An article from the Huffington Post stated, “Every field teaches you certain, basic skills that can (and probably will need to) be applied to whatever profession you end up pursuing.” 

Working towards a career requires more than just labs and specialized instruction, but also the possibilities we see only through a broader lens of education. The networking skills one gains as they are in pursuit of a perfect career fit can be beneficial to developing a future full of perspective.

Even as I haven’t felt many math and science courses to be personally applicable towards myself as a writer, I appreciate that I can now say I have some degree of knowledge in fields I knew minimally prior to enrollment.

And speaking as one to have had my fair share of major changes throughout my time here on campus, I can’t take credit for deciding my career alone – I have each “random” class to thank for both my self-discovery and elimination process. The goals of general education classes are essential to us as a society, regardless of career path.