Toledo: College students and adderall abuse

Photo illustration: Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

As finals approach, some students may turn to drugs like Adderall or Ritalin to help them focus to get their work done.

Claudia Toledo

The dangers of using and abusing prescription Adderall, especially amongst college students, have been swept under the rug by many with very little caution. Its easy accessibility and addictive qualities make it a go-to for many struggling students looking to get tasks done at any cost.

But this focus oriented “study drug” has effects greater than many users are aware of. Adderall is an addictive prescription mental stimulant that dramatically increases norepinephrine and dopamine levels in the user’s brain, two factors responsible for triggering alertness and energy levels in our systems.

When appropriately prescribed, it plays a huge role in the treatment for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). But it is often misused or abused by those without prescriptions, including college students. 

Many students begin to pop the seemingly harmless pill in order to stay awake longer and to reduce the stress caused by the often ever-growing amounts of assignments and tests.

However, many are unaware of the short and long term effects and immensely addictive qualities this drug possesses.

Short-term effects of misusing the drug include appetite suppression, drastic moodiness and irritability, and a range of potentially harmful cardiac complications.

These short-term effects may not deter use among college students, but the more serious long-term effects might. Psychosis, hallucinations, increased body temperature and heart rate, and the possibility of permanent damages to the heart and brain, which can sometimes lead to strokes or cardiac arrest, are all potential dangers.

Those who are popping this seemingly harmless “study drug” as easily as consuming a coffee or an energy drink are probably unaware of these risks. 

But how are students gaining such easy access to this amphetamine adjacent drug?

Many students gain a prescription through portraying themselves as in need of a cure to their studying disorders and focus issues, leading to large quantities being at their disposal. This is a perfect opportunity to sell the drug amongst students and friends. Normally selling for around $5 a pill, the drug can be spread over campuses like a virus, despite the distribution of the stimulant being illegal.

“Even at a party, it’s almost too easy to get it,” Iowa State student Kelsie Leathers said. “It’s sad that most people don’t know how dangerous it can be, it’s sort of been made into a joke.”

The tendency to become addicted to Adderall is unbelievably prevalent, as our bodies have a huge ability to develop tolerances for amphetamines. The dependency on the increased levels of dopamine released in the brain leaves users with painful withdrawals, onsets of depressive states, and prolonged sleeping issues and disorders.

As someone who has personally known many to use the drug either recreationally or for enhanced study ethics, I’m well aware of how unaware thousands of students are to the risks involved in misuse. I’ve seen the withdrawals and noticed the addiction onsets, neither of which seem to be worth a few more hours of studying.

The ever-growing use of the study drug among our campus as well as many others is nothing to make light of, and informing students everywhere of the very real consequences may be just what is needed to take drug and stimulant use seriously.