What is ‘StuGov’?

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

Vice president Cody West asks a question to Ann Marie Vanderzanden, who came to speak to Student Government during a meeting on March 1 in the Campanile Room. Vanderzanden spoke about the upcoming end to Blackboard, and the system that is going to replace it. 

Alli Weaver;

Have you ever faced an issue that you felt was out of your hands because you don’t have the authority to make a change? Iowa State’s Student Government may be able to help you create a solution or, if you’re elected, even give you that authority.

Just as many high schools have a student council and states have legislatures, the Iowa State student body has a group of representatives which stands to make decisions based on student needs in order to better the Iowa State experience.

The Student Government, sometimes abbreviated as StuGov, is made up of 3 branches: executive, legislative, and judicial, just as the U.S. Government is comprised.

The executive branch, with about 25 members, consists of the StuGov President and Vice President, which are Cody West and Cody Smith respectively as of Fall 2017, and the executive cabinet.

This branch works toward specific goals and projects that students feel are most important to them. The cabinet also develops policies that help the rest of the organization in fulfilling these goals.

These positions are voted upon each spring semester, following the campaigning season.

According to Noah Collins, election commissioner for the March 2017 elections, the president and vice president of StuGov represent the university directly both to state legislature and to the Board of Regents.

For example, 2016-2017 StuGov President Cole Staudt pushed for a medical amnesty bill in Iowa’s legislature, in favor of legally protecting underage students who are in need of medical care due to intoxication.

There are approximately 34 students that make up the legislative branch of StuGov. This branch is responsible for allocating student fees to projects and efforts that will benefit their constituents, as well as passing bills that are intended to improve student life.

This branch, along with the executive branch, holds open meetings in the Campanile Room of the MU every Wednesday at 7 p.m., during which a period is allotted for any student who wishes to speak to express their concerns, thoughts and desires pertaining to StuGov responsibilities.

These representatives are also voted upon each March, if positions are available.

Lastly, the judicial branch is, like the national government, the Supreme Court of StuGov. This group is made up of 9 students, 1 Chief Justice and 8 Associate Justices. The branch’s intent is to enforce the Student Government constitution.

Members of this court must be nominated by the StuGov President and voted upon by the Senate.

If you are interested in getting involved, head to the StuGov website (stugov.iastate.edu) to find out how to get nominated or elected to an open position, become an election commissioner, or check the timeline to find out when you can vote.