Iowa State celebrates Women’s Equality Day with voter registration

On August 26, 1920 U.S. Secretary of State Bainbridge Colby signed the 19th Amendment into law, granting white women the right to vote. 96 years and 364 days later, Iowa State continues to celebrate the momentous date.

The Catt Center, Margaret Sloss Women’s Center and Ames League of Women Voters set up shop on the Plaza of Heroines outside of Catt Hall for passersby to have the ability to register to vote.

Local elections take place over the next few months, so the event catered to those needing to register to vote with their new address in Story county.

The League of Women Voters explained how voters can change their address and party affiliation to those who needed help.

“Voting is a really great right that we all get, and I think it’s really cool that Iowa State has things like this that makes it easy for students to register to vote,” said Mary Anton, sophomore in mathematics. “Sometimes it can get really confusing if you don’t know how to change your address and stuff like that. But that’s why I’m here to help.”

Volunteers such as Anton also helped give out information on candidates in local elections and the Catt Center. She and fellow volunteer Jennifer Poncelet, senior in kinesiology, are Legacy of a Heroine scholarship recipients, and are grateful to have opportunities available to aid students like themselves.

“Being involved in the Catt Center… it’s been a good community for me,” said Poncelet. “I’ve met lots of interesting people, not only on campus, but people the center has brought in for us to interact with.”

Carrie Chapman Catt, whom the center is named after, was a graduate of Iowa State in 1880. She worked for the women’s suffrage campaign for 33 out of its 72 years, and served twice as the president of the National Women’s Suffrage Association.

Catt also was president of the association during 1919 when the 19th Amendment gained approval by Congress.

Information cards were passed out on campus giving information on Catt and the history of Women’s Equality Day. The cards read, “It’s a man’s world… unless women vote!”

Women’s Equality Day was not official until 1971, when Congress designated the day to August 26.

“I think it’s important for everybody to get out and vote,” said Poncelet. “Women make up about half the population, so we’re an important representation.”