Iowa State community weighs in on solar eclipse

Iowa State Students Sam Pickett, Trevor Jensen and Joe Anderson view the eclipse though special glasses Aug. 21 during the brief moments it was visible though the clouds.

Jill O'Brien

Armed with Walmart glasses and high quality cameras alike, Iowa State students and staff took to campus to catch a glimpse of the partial solar eclipse. 

Some professors cancelled class while some students just skipped, despite the eclipse coinciding with the first day at school. Nevertheless, people headed out to Central Campus and its surrounding areas to witness the long-awaited event.

“I watched the eclipse from Curtiss because my next class was in Jischke and Curtiss had the best view nearby,” said freshman Eric Reuss, whose reaction to the eclipse was captured in a photo posted on Iowa State’s Instagram page. “When the picture was taken, a hole in the clouds allowed us to see the eclipse, and so I raised my arms in celebration.”

The mass of people that came out to watch was somewhat unbelievable. Tim-Shi Tam, the university carilloneur and associate professor of music, was playing in the Campanile, and when she finished, came outside to watch onlookers in awe of the sky.   

“Inside the Campanile, I can’t really look out, but afterwards I could see a lot of people, students and staff,” said Tam, who played Bonnie Tyler’s ‘Total Eclipse of the Heart’ during the eclipse. “Everyone was so excited, including myself. I think it’s really cool that I can share the experience with everyone – play some music, help each other commemorate this special occasion.”  

According to NASA, the next total solar eclipse will fall on April 8, 2024, and will hopefully garner the same wonder and excitement that this one did. 

“Every time it happens,” said Tam, “I think it’s unique.”