Lip Sync showcases talents of greek community

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

The Greek Busters perform their jungle themed show during Lip Sync March 31st. Their show included songs like welcome Into the Jungle and a remix of the opening song for the Lion King. 

Emily Hammer

For 65 years, people inside and outside the greek community have come to watch Lip Sync, a part of Greek Week. Friday night, Lip Sync saw the bottom floor of Stephens Auditorium nearly full as more trickled into the balcony.

Lip Sync requires pairings to lip sync to a skit composed of different songs and a plot. This year, the theme they had to incorporate was “Cardinal, Gold and Greek.” 

For Alyson Logel, treasurer of Pi Beta Chi, loves the morale of coming together as a chapter and community, but also as a pairing. Pi Beta Chi was paired with Chi Omega and Sigma Pi.

Logel said that Lip Sync is her favorite part of Greek Week because of how funny the skits are and the songs that each pairing uses.

“Last year I didn’t get to participate, but I went to watch and it was super fun,” she said. “I didn’t think I would enjoy it and I only went to support my sisters, but I really did enjoy it.”

Each team also had to incorporate a given noise into their skit: the SpongeBob Squarepants narrator saying ‘two hours later.’

This year, a new award was also incorporated, titled the “People’s Choice Award.” Attendees were able to vote on the skit they thought was the best by paying a dollar. All proceeds went to the Special Olympics.

Other awards include: Best Plot, Best Costumes, Best Main Character, Best Supporting Cast, Best Choreography, Best Set, Best Supporting Character and Athlete’s Choice.

A few competitors from the Special Olympics also performed for the audience, featuring a jail scene in which the prisoners get out and begin dancing and intimidating the guard.

Some awards were also given out, such as the Golden Hanger award. This award goes to the pairing with the best apparel, despite having no point value. Greekelodeon won this award. 

Ash Branch won both the Team Flag award and first place for Show Me the Greeks, a fashion show where a single team member shows their knowledge of greek life as well as their personality.

Greek Busters and DAAKstreet Boyz tied for second place for Show Me the Greeks.

Finalists for Karaoke performed in between Lip Sync skits as well, each with a team of six people. Finalists can be seen below.

Awards for Lip Sync and Karaoke, as well as many others, will be awarded at 6 p.m. Sunday at VESPERS.

Lip Sync performances:

Greek Busters: This performance saw Jane showing Tarzan around the greek jungle, with guest appearances from characters in The Lion King, Madagascar and The Jungle Book.

Pirates of Greekland: A rendition of “Pirates of the Caribbean” followed Elizabeth Swann and Captain Jack Sparrow as they used a map to learn about different aspects of greek life.

Greek Madness: A grandma saw Sim University was left running on a computer and played it to relive her glory days of being a part of greek life.

Mighty Greeks: Similar to “Dancing with the Stars,” Dancing with the Greeks saw three teams with celebrity guests compete for Cardinal, Gold or Greek before Kim Kardashian reminded them it’s not about winning.

Greekelodeon: The school administration tries to shut down the greek community so two members time travel to the future to see what Iowa State is like without greek community.

DAAKstreet Boyz: In the style of “Legally Blonde,” Elle Woods goes to Greek Visit Day to learn about going Greek after receiving a call from her parents saying that her hall director said she wasn’t living up to her potential.

Juju on that Greek: When a high school student is accepted to Iowa State and doesn’t think he wants to join greek life, his parents flash back to their greek days and show him why he should.

Ash Branch: An Iowa State students doesn’t want to go greek, so while taking a nap, the ghosts of greek past, present and future visit and show her why she should go greek.

Gamma Kappa Psi: After the greek community loses their color because they don’t know how to work together, a new Iowa State student shows them how to get it back.

Greek Attack: A girl falls asleep and wakes up in Greekland, similar to Wonderland, and goes on a quest to show the queen why greek life should not be banished any longer.

Greek Gatsby: Losing her way in a tornado, a girl is lost in Greekland and is sent to the Memorial Union to find the wizard who will help get her back home, along the way deciding to join greek life and convincing the evil witch to join, too.

Threat Level Theta: An Office-style performance sees Michael work to get Greekland reinstated after the branch is shut down, but realizes how important teamwork is when others in his office are the ones to get it up and running.

Peace, Love, Greeks: Flashing back to the 1980s, two hosts are holding a call-a-thon to raise $1,000 for Greek Week and realize they earn more money as they exemplify the greek pillars.

Alpha Trifecta: Bear Grylls explores the Iowa wild before happening upon Iowa State and learning about greek life, despite having bad boundaries and taking most things as a challenge.

IV League: At a Monster’s Inc. clubfest, Sully and Mike learn how the Scare Games bring the greek community closer together, but have to show Randal that, too, as he keeps stealing greek pillars.

Karaoke Finalists:

• Peace, Love, Greeks with “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire
  • Greek Attack with “Bet on It” from High School Musical
  • Alpha Trifecta with “Can’t Back Down” from Camp Rock
  • DAAKstreet Boyz with “What Dreams Are Made Of” from The Lizzie McGuire Movie
  • Juju on that Greek with “Can’t Stop the Feeling” by Justin Timberlake
  • Gamma Kappa Psi with “Fishing” in the Dark by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band