Students can do yoga on the lawn Tuesday

Winner of Best Yoga Studio.

Maggie Curry

Several student organizations will come together for Yoga on the Lawn as part of Green Week, the week leading up to Earth Day, this Saturday.

The Green Umbrella, Yoga Club and Live Green! Live Yoga are hosting the yoga event from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. on the lawn south of the campanile. The event is also sponsored by KIND bars.

“It’s a great way to get out and meet others while enjoying our environment,” Lia Gomez, director of marketing for the Green Umbrella, said.

Part of the event’s purpose is to encourage the community to appreciate the immediate environment here on campus, Gomez said. The Green Umbrella also focuses on bringing awareness to sustainability initiatives and resources on campus and in Ames and is the group behind Sustainapalooza in February.

“I’m coming from Texas. I had never been exposed to anything on this scale, a whole week devoted to the Earth,” Gomez said.

Gomez was recently appointed to director of sustainability for Student Government. In her position, she will help oversee the recently created GreenFund.

The GreenFund is a resource for clubs and organization to receive funding from Student Government for its own sustainability initiatives. Gomez said there were endless possibilities, but examples included community gardens, projects with bee pollination or initiatives to replace paper towels with blow-dryers in campus bathrooms.

“We’re here for the student body. What we do is all for them,” Gomez said.

To find more information on the GreenFund, visit Student Government’s booth this Friday in front of Parks Library or visit the Green Umbrella’s student organization page or find them on Facebook for more information.