Iowa State infielder tabbed as freshman of the year award finalist

Iowa State freshman Sami Williams gets ready to step up to bat against Oklahoma State. Williams hit a solo home run in her first at bat of the day.

Andy Stubblefield

Iowa State infielder Sami Williams was tabbed as a finalist for the 2017 Schutt Sports/NFCA Division I National Freshman of the Year award, the school announced Thursday. Williams is one of 25 finalists for the award, given to the country’s most outstanding freshman.

Williams has started all 47 games at second base for Iowa State this season and has been excelling as the lead-off batter. Against Big 12 teams, Williams leads the Cyclones in batting average (.378), hits (14), RBIs (8), doubles (5) and home runs (3).

Williams has the third best slugging percentage in the league with a .757 and leads the Big 12 with 28 total bases in conference play.

Tuesday in Iowa City, Williams tied the Iowa State single-season doubles record. She has 16 on the season with nine games remaining. Williams leads all NCAA Division I freshman in doubles this season.

The list will be trimmed down to the top 10 finalists on May 11. The top three finalists will be selected and released May 24, and the trophy will be presented during a live ceremony May 31.

The Cyclones will battle Texas over the weekend in Austin, Texas. The three-game series begins 4:30 p.m. Friday, then continues at 1 p.m. Saturday. The Cyclones close out the weekend on Sunday, with their final game beginning at 11 a.m.