Meet the judges for this spring’s Fashion Show

Find out what’s new with the fashion show.

As the 2017 Fashion Show rapidly approaches, Meet the Judges is one of the main events leading up to the show. Dress to the nines and indulge in free hors d’oeuvres while meeting some of the fashion industry’s finest.

All students, not just those interested in pursuing apparel in the future, are invited to attend the Meet the Judges event at Iowa State from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Alumni Center.

The event allows the Fashion Show to introduce the guest judges for 2017 and let the guest judges introduce themselves and share their experience in the industry with students.

Samuel Iverson, senior in apparel, merchandising and design, is an alumni director for the 2017 Fashion Show.

Iverson said the event is “an effort to get more networking experience for students but also to show a little bit about the judges, why are they here and what part they take in the fashion show.”

The alumni directors and the design committee, as well as other apparel, merchandising and design students, have been preparing non-stop for the event for the past couple months. This week, they have been checking and double-checking everything.

“From getting contracts approved, reserving space and ordering food — we’ve already done this but we’re just making sure everything is solidified for this event,” Iverson said. “I feel like a lot of people don’t understand that. Like we flew in these judges and they are all people that are in the industry. This is to kind of honor the judges and thank them for being in the fashion show.”

One of the reasons for inviting industry professionals to judge the designs for the Fashion Show is to keep the judging unbiased.

“It’s not our professors,” Iverson said. “These judges don’t know us. It’s just really being able to grade [Iowa State student designers’] designs.”

Four judges will be at the event. The first judge is Sarah Clapper, a market planner at Gap. The second, Tameka Ellington, is an assistant professor of fashion at Kent State University. The third, Tina Wagner, is a freelance designer and color specialist in Los Angeles. The last, Maranda Nichols Persico, is a costume designer and member of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Costume Designers Guild Local 892.

Many apparel, merchandising and design students at Iowa State do not get much of a chance to meet industry professionals unless they travel to a bigger city. This event serves as a bridge in order for students to be able to get their feet wet in the industry and start growing their professional network for their future careers.  

Students in majors unrelated to fashion can expect to learn what it takes to thrive in the fast-paced world we live in today.

The event only takes place once a year, so students of all majors are encouraged to come, learn and network in order to ensure their most optimal career.

“It’s a good time,” Iverson said. “And it’s a good thing [for students] to see a little bit more of the inside of the Fashion Show — the behind-the-scenes stuff.”