Cyclones land into women’s track, field record book at Larry Wieczorek Invite

Sophomore Jhoanmy Luque competes in the women’s long jump finals at the Drake Relays at Drake Stadium in Des Moines April 29.

Kyle Heim

Multiple Iowa State women’s track and field athletes climbed their way into the university record book at the Larry Wieczorek Invite, helping lead the team to a second-place finish among a field of four teams including Iowa, Northern Iowa and Florida State. 

Three Iowa State athletes earned event wins for the Cyclones on day one of the meet Friday. Sophomore Jasmine Staebler, who made her season debut in Iowa City over the weekend, took the top spot in the 600-meter race. Sophomore Megan Schott and junior Jhoanmy Luque also earned event wins in the 3,000-meter run and long jump, respectively. 

Competing in her first collegiate multi-event, freshman Aleenah Marcucci recorded the seventh-best point total, 3,512, in Iowa State history in the pentathlon with a second-place performance at the meet. 

While junior Evelyne Guay recorded the lone Iowa State women’s track and field event win on day two, finishing first in the 800-meter run,  Staebler ran the sixth fastest time in Iowa State history in the 400-meter dash, and Tasha Frazier ran the fifth-fastest time in Iowa State history in the 60-meter hurdles. 

Iowa finished first at the meet with 168 points, followed by Iowa State with 123 points, Florida State with 116 points and Northern Iowa with 106 points.