Cyclones unable to keep up with Sooners, fall to 1-4 in conference play

Sophomore Meredith Burkhall goes up for a layup in the Cyclones 67-57 loss against Oklahoma. Burkhall finished with a double-double after recording 11 points and 11 rebounds. 

Jack MacDonald/Iowa State Daily

Tyler Julson

Iowa State lead the game throughout most of the first half on Wednesday, but were unable to with-stand the second half Oklahoma run. The Cyclones lost to the Sooners 67-57.

Iowa State (10-5, 1-4 Big 12) came into the night knowing the matchup with the Oklahoma Sooners (12-4, 3-1 Big 12) was going to be a battle. A battle is what they got, this one came down to the final minutes with lead changes throughout.

However, this one ended like many of the other conference games, with the Cyclones losing momentum late and ultimately losing the game. Despite a double-double from sophomore Meredith Burkhall (11 points, 11 rebounds), it still wasn’t enough to overcome the Sooners.

Iowa State was lead in scoring by sophomore Bridget Carleton, who finished the game with 15 point and six rebounds.

Only three of the Cyclones were able to score in double figures and had just nine points from the bench. While the Sooners scored 36 points off the bench and had 32 points in the paint.

A majority of those points in the paint came from junior Vionise Pierre-Louis, who was a headache for the Cyclones all night. The 6-foot-4 center finished the game with 18 points and 16 rebounds.